Subject Author Posted Replies

HVAC Question
Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the other night. Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an electro- something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of...
19
19

Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated?
Our 55 year-old house still runs on fuses . We have never upgraded to a circuit breaker . We hardly ever blow fuses (it's been years actually). We even run our heater and air conditioner off an...
65
65

Oily smell from gas furnace/AC
Late last August we noticed an oily smell coming from the central AC. It is even worse now that heating is on. The furnace is gas, high efficiency, and was checked by a furnace repair person. The CO...
5
5

Electrician question
This is a true story. My cousin is licensed electrician who does mostly residential work. He is coming over to connect 4 home runs into the panel. I've got all the arc-fault breakers. The home...
26
26

Whole house surge protectors
I'd like to install a whole house surge protector. Using the GoogleWeb, there appears to be a variety of types with all sorts of prices. I really don't care about the price as long as it's...
8
8

Refrigerator freezer door sometimes opened .5 inch. How to "lock" closed?
Someone goes into the freezer (part of refrig), "closes" the door, leaves the room, etc. Too much stuff in freezer, or not correctly arranged, or whatever -- of course door doesn't close 100%, or...
7
7

Help with correct furnace exhaust PVC
My furnace stopped working, it had some read-outs saying the exhaust was not working. Turns out the exhaust pipe was full of water and filled the exhaust fan with water. I cleaned all of this out, but...
19
19

ELECTRONIC OIL BURNER CONTROL BOX
A couple of weeks ago, I asked if anyone knew if the latest Honeywell L7224U oil burner control box would hold its memory during a power failure. Well, I installed the box today, and I can now report...
2
2

Roof gutter issue
I saw an ad on TV for "Austin Gutter King" where they took the shingles and picked them up to slide a gutter-guard in. It sticks out far enough to block leafs from getting in the gutter. I've seen...
2
2

Kitchen Remodel
I want to remodel a kitchen that has too much cabinet space for the size the home is. It's a 2/2 (total sf 1200 or less) and has cabinets enough for a 4/2 home. Is there a good way to cut down on...
10
10

Odd wiring in 20 year home (another wtf) - return/white grounded in switch box???
I'm in the process of replacing a bathroom vent with light. I mean, how hard can it be? :) In so doing, I have encountered some wiring that has me puzzled as to safety and function. What caught my...
9
9

GFCI's required in a non-updated bathroom? (Two prong type)
(I'm clueless about electricity... actually it sort of scares me, so this is all Greek to me). Question - I'm in the process of selling an older(1950's) home. The home inspection was...
66
66

Shower Base
Will be tiling shower walls and am considering using either an acylic (Amertech) base or a solid surface base such as Swanstone. Any other ideas, or opinions on these? Will not use tiles on floor...
2
2

Analog clock...setting time
As a force of habit I have been resetting the clocks around the house by only moving the hands clockwise. Somewhere along the line I was told a clock could be damaged if you moved the hands backwards....
24
24

Flourescent shop lights
I have a few older T8 4ft shop lights that wont light up until I turn the bulbs a bit, do I have a bad connection at the pins or am I doing something inside the light, the bulbs are old but this...
8
8