Subject Author Posted Replies

Splicing #14 wire, hot to neutral ratios....
Awl -- A two-part Q: Due to some remodeling, I'm forced to splice/lengthen some old bx cable that has #14 wire in it, and re-connect to the fuse box. Should I splice the #14 with #14, or splice...
61
61

CLEAR hardwood finishes? -- moisture cure, etc.
I now have a new unfinished red oak hardwood floor installed in an apartment that I will be renting out. What I want is a truly *CLEAR* finish to put down on the new unfinished flooring. I have extra...
32
32

Electrical Question
I have a garage that is fed with a 3 wire feed from one pole transformer and my house is same from a different pole transformer. Both locations have a ground rod attached to the box. The cable TV is...
9
9

Cutting tileboard
The bottom section of an already-installed tileboard panel has been torn off and the resulting end is very ragged. How can I cut the ragged end so it's square and even? (I want to replace the...
9
9

Light switches
I have an L-shaped hallway with: a ceiling light in the middle of each leg a light switch at the end of each leg a light switch at the intersection. Several years ago, I used to be able to turn the...
23
23

electrical code question
can you use metal switch plates and receptacle covers on an ungrounded circuit protected by a GFCI, or ONLY on a grounded circuit? I think SWMBO has changed her mind on decoration for the living room,...
11
11

doublte walled flues
I'm reading another thread about furnaces, the long thread where the house won't heat up "furnace blowing all the heat up the chimney" and someone wrote that flues are double-walled. Is that...
6
6

furnace blower sticks on
I have a York Stellar furnace that is 16 years old. After the heat cycles on and off, the blower will occassionally stay running. If I tap the fan/limit control very lightly the metal disk unsticks,...
16
16

I understand why new furnaces are more efficient, but why AC?
I think I understand why new furnaces are more efficient, but why AC? I finally read an explanation about the exhaust air being cooler, as low as 90 degrees F from gas furnaces, and more heat...
23
23

Question on CPVC cement...
Can I use CPVC cement on standard PVC? Or do I have to have a can of the regular stuff, to put my project together? Just wondering, and really don't want t screw this up over something so...
19
19

Where is the air coming from.
How do I accurately figure out where air is blowing out from, from my furnace flue area, which is next to my hot air duct. I'v used a match, but it keeps blowing out. Tonight I took a pencil and...
7
7

Safe dryer vent hose
Our dryer vent hose looks as if it is made out of aluminum foil. It looks the same as the white plastic kind except that it is a shiny metal color. My brother thinks it is the safe kind. I do not...
10
10

Mortar Under Acrylic Shower Base
I'm re-doing a shower using an acrylic/fiberglass base. The instructions say to put "mortar cement" under the base. Makes sense, there were lumps of grey rock-like substance under the one I pulled...
5
5

smoke alarm puzzle
Neighbor's house has five smoke alarms wired so that all go beep when one has alarm. Two of them, at the end of the alarm line, suddenly started beeping. I helped him replace the 9V battery in...
6
6

Gas Fire Place ignitor replacement.
The ignitor on my Desa Gas Fire Place broke and I was able to get a new part. Just wondering how I would go about installing same. Seems there is still part of the ignitor switch stuck in the opening....
7
7