Subject Author Posted Replies

Safety lites on gar. door opener
I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow. Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door. Questions: 1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites? 2.)...
92
92

LG 18000 BTU air con in apt only works when HOT outside!
Of course, most normal people would think that's a 'fine' arrangement. My AC can make it literally ARCTIC in my apt if its in the high 80's or 90's. However, my apartment has...
18
18

Lock Re-Keying Kits Illegal in Florida?!
I was in Florida this past week and a half for an unhappy event, and we needed to re-key the locks in my late-mother's house. My sister was calling a locksmith and I said that I could do it for...
40
40

Order of Operations to Refinish Tabletop: Poly Stays Tacky
I was making good progress on this- had applied two coats of oil stain and the surface seemed dry. Water marks pretty much gone. Maybe I didn't wait long enough (it was at least 12 hours) after...
5
5

choice of finish for covered (but not enclosed) porch floor
I have a wrap-around porch that's covered, but not enclosed. It's T&G. We get about 40 inches of rain a year. The existing paint is peeling along the outside (most exposure to elements) and...
4
4

"Amish heater" does a good job, but don't expect any miracles
February 21, 2009 "Amish heater" does a good job, but don't expect any miracles When is an electric space heater more than just an appliance? When it's an "Amish heater." At least that's...
3
3

Door Switches/ where buy ?
I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch...
29
29

Window repair question
I'm fixing some broken window panes in my basement windows. The windows are rectangular wood frames with three 8x10 glass panes: fit into wood frames built into my basement walls. This is the...
48
48

Something Rotten in Drywall, Say Homeowners (high-sulphur)
The CBS evening news just broadcast a story about high-sulphur content in drywall that is causing problems in new and renovated homes. Something that was originally being blamed on cheap drywall made...
11
11

Generator connections for us cheapskates
Last week, the power went out for the first time since I got my generator. It took about 80 minutes to get it hooked up and running. I could have done it in 5 minutes if not for some special problems...
15
15

Generator power cord
I have a generator with 240 vac, 15 amp, output. Because I hate to spend money, I'm piecing together a cable from yardsale junk. Unfortunately, I got the wrong plug, so I'm shopping for the...
12
12

Which do you like more, split ring lock washers or the other kind?
Which do you like more, split ring lock washers or the other kind? Why? What you call the other kind?
23
23

ge washer problem
the agitator was sounding loud so I took it off to check the problem and I noticed that the shaft underneath it is really loose. if i hold it up and straight it seems to be tight enough but if i let...
2
2

Non electric gas dryers
Have been very hard to find in my recent trips to retailers. Is this a trend? Just wondering. Project for 2010 or sooner...
19
19

What can I get out of Pella?
Hi, I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block, extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all...
56
56