Subject Author Posted Replies

Cast iron vent connection
I was in my attic doing some wiring and came across a 2" vent, I accidentally touched it and it moved..."moved" as in slid down for about two inches. The 2" cast iron vent is original. I hired a...
6
6

Fun with electricity (or A Question about Wiring)
Hi there, folks. I'm not electrician, but I've changed out a fair number of light switches and outlets in my house. I decided this past weekend to swap out the dimmer switch in my dining room with a...
17
17

Hardwood floors -- light refinish
I have hardwood floors in a house that I will be renting out. The floors are in fairly good shape, but they should at least be "lightly refinished". By that I mean that I think that doing something...
3
3

HDTV connections
I have a HDTV connected to a satellite receiver via an HDMI cable. Under the HDTV's "Setup" menu, the "Source" menu lists AV1, AV2, AV3, HDMI1, HDMI2, Side and Digital Audio In. Each of those...
21
21

Best Over-the-Range Microwave Brands?
1. Whirlpool? 2. GE? 3. Frigidaire? Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start comparing brands/models?
26
26

OT Making fun of the blind
Prince Philip mocks blind hero about color of his tie 't shoot the messenger.
9
9

Brassing fitting help?
1st, I am NOT a plumber but I can turn a pipe wrench. I ordered a replacement brass tank cross tee for my well tank and because I measured the OD the unit I got is much larger than the original....
2
2

Garage door legal question.
Hi everyone. We will be walking out of our house shortly in CA. I am selling everything that can be remove and one of the item is the garage door which I paid for about over two years ago. Is there...
55
55

Knapp-Monarch blender?
anyone ever see one of these? 've had one similar since college (found in goodwill, salvation army, somewhere like that) works fine except no low speed. Can't figure out how to take it apart. any...
3
3

Romex wire hookup
I'm running Romex wire into my panel box. Put in a new breaker. I know the black wire goes into the breaker. Do the ground (bare) wire and the neutral (white) BOTH hook into the same bar? There is one...
29
29

Drywall Lift
Looking for those with experience using a drywall lift. I need to do my garage ceiling. The garage is 28x32 and the ceiling is about 9'6" high. Will the lift make this a 1 man project? Worst thing I...
25
25

OT: NC Salvation Army Kettle Holdup
Striving for excellence to new lows. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local_state/story/239178.html
1
1

Buying bulding materials" HD\Lowes vs. Builders Suppliers
In spring I am starting building big addition. I wonder how HDLowes stand in building materials (lumber, house wrap, subfloor plywood, OSB sheathing, roofing shingles, insulation, drywall and other)...
26
26

Small volume mortar mixing
I've got a few projects coming up that I'd like to save my energy spent mixing mortar by hand for the project itself. I work alone & don't work for long any more- so mix one batch and I'm done for the...
9
9

Do we need a methane/propane detector?
Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane) appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater, clothes...
6
6