Subject Author Posted Replies

Split Frozen or Thawed Wood - Slightly OT
I have a lot of wood to split for firewood sometime this winter. It is currently frozen. Is it easier to split frozen or thawed wood, assuming that moisture content is the same in either case?
11
11

Harbor Fright 20% coupon
30
30

wover-wire / field fencing -- is Redbrand worth the extra
Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll. Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for kid's 4H). Is $50/roll justified for Red?
18
18

A problem with LEDs
When used in traffic signals, the lights don't get warm enough to melt snow. The snow obscures the signal and people die. "Cities around the country that have installed energy-efficient traffic lights...
36
36

HVAC DIY
I will soon have my addition construction drawing from an architect. The architect does not do HVAC drawings, he mentioned I need to find (he has some he can recommend) HVAC contractors who can do...
33
33

Heat tape on Plastic pipe?
Hello, I just had the furnace guy refire up my energy efficient furnace as it went out last night. We have been having a cool spell (-45 to -50 Celciuse) in Canada here... I have a 2600 sq ft four...
8
8

Paint over Fiberglass Tub Patch
I recently repaired a small hole in my Fiberglass tub with an autobody repair kit. The tub holds water without leaking, but I would like to paint over the repaired area. Are there any aerosol-based...
4
4

Drywall taping garage question
I have a detached garage that is 30x30 with 10 foot ceiligns that was just built. The outside is metal and standard stud walls in the inside with 2 feet on center studs for the most part. I am...
21
21

Celing material for garage? (Drop ceiling or soffit)
I am needing advice and you guys are some of the smartest on the web. As you know I have a 30x30 building with 10 foot ceilings. The trusses are 4 feet apart so I am not sure I can put a drywall...
17
17

'Electronic' thermostat. RFI (For info).
We have just replaced a 40 year old 'analog' thermostat that we felt was sticking or not reacting properly, with a simple electronic one. The new thermostat has a capacity of 2000 watts (in this case...
5
5

Stairwell skylight with air grills/vents question
My Dad owns a 6 family apt building in Brooklyn and it has a stairwell skylight simlilar to this: I noticed is around the base of the skylight are small permanent vent grills that I guess is suppose...
7
7

Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw
I tightened up a 1/4" lag screw that I bought from Home Depot earlier this evening. It was screwed into 1.5" fir after pre-drilling with a 1/8" pilot hole. After it bottomed out, I turned it just a...
198
198

A cord is a cord, of course, of course ......
I saw once where they took lengths of rounds, full cuts of tree trunk, and stacked them 8' x 8' x 4' to equal 128 cubic feet. They then split the wood, and had a lot more than a cord. I saw an ad that...
17
17

Bright LED Christmas Candle
Do these exist? Most have the soft orange flicker flame. I am looking for something that looks more like a traditional window candle with a clear bulb, but I do want battery-operated and LED. Thanks...
2
2

stereo earphone plug "widens" jack: how to fix (replace=impossible)
Subj: stereo earphone plug "widens" jack: how to fix (replace=impossible) Problem with mini-jacks (TRS) for headphones: after a bit of use, seems like the female part ("jack"?) widens-out inside...
18
18