Subject Author Posted Replies

recapturing dryer heat?
Has anyone tried to use a heat exchanger of any kind on their dryer vent, or better yet, is there any commercially available product to do this? I have a gas dryer so simply venting indoors likely...
36
36

stud and insulate garage block walls
I'm not sure if I should put plastic vapor seal against the block wall. It will be a 2x4 wall about an inch away from the block wall. The insulation will have the standard paper vapor seal/barrier. I...
1
1

Stencil for swimming pool?
Hi, I have a hydropool (lap pool) and swim in it every day. Next time I drain it (once a year), I'd like to put a single black 2 inch wide black stripe down the center of the pool bottom. This way I...
4
4

HUMIDIFIER WICK
I use a 2 gallon ( room ) humidifier in the winter months. My water has a high mineral content, and the wick clogs up in 4 > 5 weeks. Replacement wicks are pricey, especially over a winter season. Can...
9
9

Insulating dryer duct?
I noticed that our exposed sheet metal basement dryer duct gets quite cold here in the frigid North -- acting like a "reverse" radiator when the dryer is not in use. Part of the problem may be due to...
12
12

Hand saw for earthquake emergency?
Is there a type of hand saw that's particularly suited to cutting out of a collapsed house in an earthquake? It should be easy to cut through a 2x4 and other common support beams in a wood framed...
39
39

drywall texture ID
Orange peel. There are several ways you can repair damage to the type of wall finish commonly known as orange-peel texture. Most are easy to learn with practice.
3
3

Rainsoft Timer Motor
My wife can always tell when it's time to add salt to our Rainsoft water treatment system. A few years ago it wasn't regenerating and I found that the timer motor (Intermatic CW190) wasn't working. I...
2
2

Freezing gate locks
I have cheap HD deadbolt locks on gates, when they freeze after a rain and feeze I thaw them with alcohol but have not lubed them. What would prevent freezing of the locks, Graphite, oil? I really...
12
12

Malibue outdoor lights
Do the transformers get weak over the years, my lights get dimmer further away from the transformer, I only have 110 watts on a 600 watt transformer, or is my cable bad its only 35 yrs old, as is the...
7
7

Stolen trashcan
I have had cans blow down the road on occasion, that I needed to recover. Nothing like this example! * This message is to the person who stole my new trashcan this Tuesday. Although I will probably...
123
123

Is pex OK in phoenix high heat cielings?
My brother called from phoenix. He is laid off. His hot water line under concrete floor is leaking. He heard water running. I suggested he run PEX from the attic down rater than spending big bucks to...
3
3

Trying to understand generator sizing for 3-phase application
At our office the main panel has 3 hot legs coming in. There's one 200A master breaker at the top of the panel, then all the usual 15A, 20A breakers for various office circuits below. If 120V * 200A =...
9
9

Woodworking Plans
Hey, guys. I'm new to this group so I just wanted to post a message to say hi. If anyone is interested, I have a website at that has links to over 12,000 different woodworking plans. It's nice to be...
3
3

Another use for duct tape
Repair a totaled airplane. With pics