Subject Author Posted Replies

Parts for Porter Cable Tools
A small belt on my Porter Cable Model 333 Series 2 random orbital sander broke. The part number is 903373. The typical cost is about $2, but every source I have checked wants $9 or more for shipping....
12
12

Exterior door repair
On This Old House episode 2613, Norm repaired some old exterior doors with loose stiles with some type of long specialty screw. Does anyone know what type/size/brand of screw used for this repair?...
1
1

Crown moulding needs base moulding ??
Hi, I am planning to put up crown moulding. The moulding is 3 5/8" wide. It is from Home depot: (Links to Home Depot). Before installing do i need to put in a base moulding ? What are the conditions...
10
10

Best ideas for affordable draft/air leak detector
I am trying to chase down drafts in my house and would like to get advice on the best way to detect air leaks. I have seen the following suggestions and/or products on the net and would like to get...
17
17

Setting time for pvc glue versus "pressure testing" time
I'm gluing some water pipes in my basement using Flowguard Gold medium cpvc cement. The instructions say "allow one hour cure before pressure testing". Does that mean that after one hour I can just...
4
4

Vapour barrier Tape
Hi I live outside the city...I have bought the gyprock and am repairing a vapour barrier however neglected to buy the vapour barrier tape for the seams... I have 2" wide clear packing tape...can I use...
15
15

Violence in railroading: track torpedoes, fusees and derails
Thanks for the cool story. I did a search on youtube for train torpedos and found this excellent play list of videos of explosions. I particularly like the one where they dynamited that whale. The...
8
8

electrical math - ground rods
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods - plus - One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit) - equals - Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock For the last few...
30
30

Contact cement problem
Yesterday I used DAP water-based contact cement to attach a laminate edge strip to one edge of a counter top that has a pine edge strip (smooth but with no existing finish) already. The strip of...
6
6

Free up stuck garbage disposal motor (how?)
My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and now just hums. I reset the red button but it still just hums. Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.
14
14

Who is responsible for smoke detector batteries & FE in a rental property?
In California, do you know who is responsible for smoke detector batteries and working fire extinguishers in a rental property? --- news:// - complaints: ---
33
33

What's the best way to refinish inside wooden doors?
I have 6 inside wood hollow flat (not paneled or paned) brown wood doors taht are dirty and in need of a fresher look. What's the proper way to freshen up these single-sheet plywood doors? Do I hand...
13
13

Water Softener systems..
Our house is in a town of 33 000 people. The town's water supply is well water. Everyone in this town complains about the hard water and many home, including ours has a water softening system. We plan...
40
40

Dust Theory
The upstairs at my home is always has infinitely more dust than the rest of the house. Another post in this group gave me a thought. The attic fan is on a thermostat, and it runs quite a lot in the...
18
18

OT The right thing to do
Greetings This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here. My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She...
98
98