Subject Author Posted Replies

Gasoline in Home Heating Oil - Bad?
OK...this may sound weird, but I had a dream last night... A friend pulled up at my house with his pickup truck towing a tank of home heating oil. He said he needed some gas for his pickup. I went...
24
24

Best wood for house exterior
What's the best wood for house outside exterior: trims, fascia, etc. assuming all wood will be painted by exterior grade paint?
6
6

Need quick advice for fixing galvanized horizontal hot water pipe in crawlspace (first time)
I need basic direction for fixing a 3/4" steel galvanized hot-water pipe which developed a leak right in the middle of a 50' horizontal run (probably put there in the 1960s' in the crawl space). I saw...
50
50

Gluing Plastic on Plastic
My car's air cleaner shroud is made of plastic and a piece broke off. It's a clean break and I should be able to glue it. It will get hot under the hood and the area adjacent to the break is a little...
23
23

Sharp Microwave Touch pad not working
The Unit is a Sharp Carousel II Well there are 3 pads or keys across the top, express defrost, clock and minuit plus and they quit working. every so often they will work, seems more like maybe after I...
7
7

Local Building Codes
By accident I learned that my municipality's building codes require that I obtain a building permit (with payment and inspection) for the following activities, even when they are performed by...
19
19

Another Tool for the Trash Can
As I have mentioned here before, my father passed away in 1998. When we sorted his things, I got a lot of tools and parts of various sorts. He was somewhat of a hoarder although in his later years he...
20
20

Trailer roof coating recipe
I'm forwarding this for comment. Cement on the roof of a mobile home doesn't sound good to me.
12
12

Venting for electric range
I have a Jenn-Air electric range with a grill option. Because of this, it has the downdraft vent in the middle on the cooktop. I want to move this stove to my basement and just use it's oven, when...
4
4

Heatmor outdoor boiler
I'm trying to determine the pros and cons of having a wood boiler installed on my property. If you haven't heard of these, the boiler is built to circulate water around the firebox. The water gets...
24
24

Electrical Outlet In Vanity - Code?
On an episode of Ask This Old House, they replaced a vanity that had a GFCI mounted in the side of it. It was the only outlet in the bathroom and the homeowner didn't want to lose it. After installing...
13
13

TSP
The posters here have convinced me that TSP is something I need to use. The searches I have done point me to TSP substitutes, even though the products have "TSP" in large letters on the bottle. Where...
19
19

Staining interior door, Should the hardware be removed or just leave it on ?
I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I don't have to work around them. Or just leave them on ? Thanks
10
10

Harbor Freight Coupons
I may make my first trip to Harbor Freight's local store today. There are lots of discussions here about coupons. Are there any that I should be aware of before I head that way?
14
14

Parts for Porter Cable Tools
A small belt on my Porter Cable Model 333 Series 2 random orbital sander broke. The part number is 903373. The typical cost is about $2, but every source I have checked wants $9 or more for shipping....
12
12