Subject Author Posted Replies

Basement finishing COMPLETED!!!
Sure, we are amateurs. Sure, there are some areas that could be better. Sure, it took almost 4 years to finish. Sure we hired a contractor to do the drop ceiling. We know when we're over our hrad....
16
16

Drilling tapcons into hollow blocks
Is there any special tricks in using Tapcons on hollow concrete block walls? I want to secure copper pipes, PVC drain pipes etc... onto my block walls using those copper straps. I am using 1-1/2"...
26
26

Breaking a soldered joint
Has anyone heard of someone rupturing a soldered copper pipe joint by deflecting the pipe (e.g. to clear an interference)? Just curious.
27
27

GFCI outlet question.
Would a GFCI outlet work as an overload breaker? I have a refrigerator and chest freezer in my attached garage along with the garage door opener and an outside outlet box. All are on one circuit....
43
43

Bathroom GFCI with no ground?
I want to replace an existing 2-prong receptacle in a bathroom with a GFCI receptacle. There is no ground wire going to the existing receptacle and no grounded metal cable or grounded metal outlet box...
31
31

Transition from 5/16 to 3/4 floor
Hi, I have 5/16" top nailed oak floors in the dining room. I'm about the install a new floor in the adjacent kitchen. The kitchen and the dining area are not separated by a wall. It's basically one...
10
10

totally OT
This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for those who may be in the know. We were talking about a recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman from from England bought an old...
30
30

How to clean an inaccessible electrical contact?
I've got a floor lamp which uses this CFL bulb: bulb often doesn't light up unless I partially remove it from the ballast socket and rock it back & forth. Doesn't matter if it's an old bulb or a brand...
40
40

Bathroom plumbing question......
I am renovating a bathroom and putting in a new vanity and toilet and tub. I want to move the toilet over about 6"., Here is a shot taken from down below after I have removed the kitchen ceiling to...
12
12

Tool idea
I think there's a demand for a device to equalize the sizes of electrical cord prongs. Imagine a gizmo similar to a bit sharpener into which you insert the plug needing adjustment. A cutting wheel...
44
44

OT medical billing
I just received a letter from the billing dept of my health care provider warning me that I was three months overdue on a bill. I must regularly visit my MD every 4 months and for the past 20 years I...
26
26

Self Adhering Window Film?
One of our bathrooms has a double-pane garden window... Why, I don't know. Probably to get more light in the room. In any case, the seal is blown on the biggest vertical pane. Looks terrible - white...
24
24

OT - Duct Tape; Gets rid of warts!
http://www.prevention.com/doctorsbookofhomeremedies/20.html
9
9

Online banking safe?
Only with a live Linux CD or a dedicated Linux box. The recently released APWG Phishing Activity Trends Report for Q3 of 2009, details record highs in multiple phishing vectors, but also offers an...
4
4

How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven? What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder? If I miss any of it and...
35
35