Subject Author Posted Replies

Smart Strip LCG3 Energy Saving Surge Protector with Autoswitching Technology, 10-Outlet
says it automatically switches off to save power. If you are not using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?
12
12

Reusing floor tiles
A foundation problem caused cracks in a few ceramic floor tiles at one fellow's house. His fix was to remove the floor tiles and replace them with carpet (which won't crack). I ended up with the...
11
11

Egg Shaped Pod For Living!
Spot the difference, Actually I don't know if this is a joke or if it's for real, could be really usefull in certain parts of America, but only if set underground- But the problem is.....where=92s the...
16
16

Running electrical wire through PVC pipe
I was going to install 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe in the wall from the basement up to the second floor to make it easier to run more cable (data cable, TV Coax and such) up there should I need to in the...
72
72

How many wires in a thermostat
Hi, I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what...
20
20

mortar + soap = sticky?
I overheard a conversation where a guy was trying to fill a block wall cavity just at the bottom next to the floor, and he only had access at the bottom. He said it's hard to get the mortar to fill...
4
4

Bathroom Ceiling Problem
I have a ceiling in my bathroom that had textured paint on it. There is an exhaust fan that is used everytime i take a shower. After years there were a couple spots where the textured paint feel off....
11
11

Need some ideas on how to protect my tools from flooding risk
I just inherited a house in a beach community and for the first time have enough space for all of my woodworking tools AND two cars. All houses here are built on pilings but it is allowable to enclose...
40
40

Show off your skills
Be the envy of your neighborhood by proudly displaying self-qualifying "Merit Badges." Here are some: "Stupid/Oughta/Hurt" "Unhandy" A few for nerds

gas fires that have no flue
B and Q are doing a selection of wall hung *flueless* gas fires. We had those tv ads a while ago saying how dangerous your gas fire was if the chimney was blocked. We are also warned about providing...
48
48

nitrogen gas in cans
I wonder why some company doesn't begin to sell compressed nitrogen gas in spray cans, complete with a tube as found on many lubricant cans. For foods, a blast of Nitrogen into a zip lock baggie would...
26
26

Soft Drywall
I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question. We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area. I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick...
12
12

Frustrated Owner Bulldozes Home
..now covered with snow in MOSCOW, Ohio (video) Plus he will need to bring the IRS to their knees and have them surrender :-/ "When I see I owe $160,000 on a home valued at $350,000, and someone...
4
4

Ridge Board
I have a 10 X 15' pavilion with a 4 12 pitch. How big must the ridge board. Is two 2 X 12's 15 ft long sufficient?
3
3

Gas Dryer Poor Performance
I think this is the newsgroup traditionally used for appliance questions, so hopefully this is acceptably on-target. The Kenmore-branded Whirpool dryer (110.79912900) hasn't been doing well in recent...
22
22