Subject Author Posted Replies

PVC or steel? also brass plates and cable TV?
Hi again, After mulling over the work that needs to be done upstairs in my house, I am thinking that I may just cut an access hole in one wall and try to put in some PVC from the basement to the...
10
10

Electricity can KILL!
"[MONTESANO, Wash] - Authorities believe a Washington man was killed by accidentally urinating on a downed power line after a car crash." hits stationary object (light pole). Drives into ditch. Man...
14
14

Confused
Ok, one acre is 43560 square feet so , if a perfect square, one dimension should be half that? So the lot should be 21780 deep. So that should be about 2/10ths of a mile deep? How deep is a 113 acre...
58
58

Laminate vs. Carpet
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate wood or carpet? I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I...
26
26

drill bits for fixing downspout
I want to make some modifications to a downspout, so I'll need to drill into the downspout (= sheet metal) and masonry (to attach strap to mortar layer between brick). I figure I need a masonry bit...
4
4

Expired Grass Seed Any Good?
The other day when I was at my local hardware store, they were already starting to put out the grass seed, fertilizer, garden hoses, flower and vegetable seeds, and other spring items. So anyway, when...
23
23

removing plastic pipe inside metal pipe
The neck pipe for my shower was made of plastic - I say "was" because it just snapped off this past weekend. The problem is the plastic snapped right where it threaded into the brass pipe inside the...
11
11

Yext referral service (a bit OT for home repair)
I just got a call from someone, wants to sign me up with as a referral provider. They want to send me calls for my business, and only charge me $17 per customer, for the online listing. I glanced at...
11
11

Polyethylene Black pipe - Need tips on sealing fittings
I just ran some of that polyethylene black pipe across my barn to add a hose fitting in the back. This is not underground, I ran it up the inside of the barn roof. This is in the cold north of the US...
4
4

Insulating pex
I have installed in floor pex for hydronic heating. I know I have to insulate under it. Does anyone know if spray foam (not the small cans, but the polyisocyanate large scale mixture used for home...
1
1

Steel Beam in Central NJ
I am building an addition and my architectural drawings specify 8X31 steel beam. Where can I get it? Any building supplier I call does not carry or order steel beams.
12
12

Crown Moulding
Alternative to the suggestion of cutting the existing moulding (but more work), run the moulding around the casing w/ a mitered return...will accentuate the doors even further.
16
16

Laminate Flooring
I am in the process of picking out wood laminate flooring for my entry way, and all the way down the hallway. This will replace carpet. I have a small area of laminate flooring in the entry way right...
15
15

Final Doorbell Update
I want to thank everyone who helped me figure out how to convert a battery operated doorbell to a wired doorbell. It took about three hours, and it came out very nice. Of course, I did not do this...
2
2

brick steps chipping
I have about 6 rows of steps leading up to my porch, they're made out of bricks and mortar. The problem is small chips break off from the bricks occasionally and the problem seems to get worse in the...
4
4