Subject Author Posted Replies

Shelf for vanity
A dark cherry wooden vanity has been installed but it came without any shelves. The lumber yards, hardware stores and "big boxes" would only have ~5/8" thick "bookshelf type" ones in "standard"...
13
13

Waterproofing a concrete floor.
Can anyone recommend a coating to waterproof a concrete floor that is leaking downstairs from some hairline cracks when it rains? I am looking for something that can be walked on afterwards. I have...
5
5

Extending an asphalt driveway
When spring shows up, I want to extend the turnaround at the top of my driveway by as much as 20 feet. The existing driveway is in pretty good shape. I figure it's good for at least 5 more years....
9
9

Who Makes The BEST Appliances?
Would love to here opinions on what company makes trouble-free appliances, that are built to last and not break down right away for many years? Here's the thing. Our 25 year old "Magic Chef" dryer is...
69
69

Bar oil for electric chain saw.
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for...
34
34

DWV experts: Use a sanitary tee to vent a fixture drain?
DWV experts: Can I use a sanitary tee to vent a fixture drain? I understand why sanitary tee's are used in most cases. I would never substitute a vent tee for a sanitary tee, but can I substitute a...
1
1

Leach field replacement
I need to get a leach field replaced. The old one was put over caliche, and not dug very deep. It was made with minimal amounts of gravel, no more than 12" around the pipes. When checked with a laser,...
18
18

Harbor Freight battery leakage
First time I've had trouble with HF batteries. I went to my shelf for something today, and find that two packages of brand new HF "Thudnerbolt Magnum" AA cells had leaked. Two eaches 24 packs. Between...
13
13

adding a saltwater chlorinator to an existing above ground pool
I'm looking add a saltwater chlorinator to an above ground pool. The pool is 13,000 gallons and had a 2HP pump on it. Does anyone have experience with relaible brands for these things? Intek is the...
4
4

Electric motor question?
I have a Marathon Electric 1/3 hp 1725 rpm 1 phase 115 volt electric motor that runs the circulating air fan on my wood stove. I've had it in operation for well over 15 years in the winter heating...
10
10

PVC or steel? also brass plates and cable TV?
Hi again, After mulling over the work that needs to be done upstairs in my house, I am thinking that I may just cut an access hole in one wall and try to put in some PVC from the basement to the...
10
10

Electricity can KILL!
"[MONTESANO, Wash] - Authorities believe a Washington man was killed by accidentally urinating on a downed power line after a car crash." hits stationary object (light pole). Drives into ditch. Man...
14
14

Confused
Ok, one acre is 43560 square feet so , if a perfect square, one dimension should be half that? So the lot should be 21780 deep. So that should be about 2/10ths of a mile deep? How deep is a 113 acre...
58
58

Laminate vs. Carpet
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate wood or carpet? I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I...
26
26

drill bits for fixing downspout
I want to make some modifications to a downspout, so I'll need to drill into the downspout (= sheet metal) and masonry (to attach strap to mortar layer between brick). I figure I need a masonry bit...
4
4