Subject Author Posted Replies

Home ac having problems - freon doesn't seem to be circulating
Have a Trane central system installed in 88. Model T V030 A140A0 When I last ran the A/C a few months ago it seemed to be working fine. Usually when it fires up, you can hear a...
82
82

Flies
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in? I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying...
24
24

Transition from 2 1/4 wood flooring to 3 inch
I have 3 inch floorin gin a dinning orom and carpet in the adjoining living room. I got a good deal on some 2 1/4 inch flooring that nearly matches the three inch. Is there a good was to transition...
15
15

pests making holes near door
Hello, Yesterday, we saw a swarm of what looked like winged flies/bugs of some sort. I'm not sure what they are, but they were piled up in a swarm. A few hours later, there were small holes near the...
4
4

mostly OT: electric dreams
I see three cats, so I'll write this: I was living in a big old house on a 2 acre lot. Several guests were in the house. Someone was playing a radio loudly. At one point found we needed to turn off...
2
2

Smarthome Manager Plus Software
I have a Smarthome 1132CU X10 controller. I am more than a little ticked at Smarthome for their lack of support on the 1132 especially the Daylight Savings Time change. They call it a legacy product...

BRASS LAMP REFINISH
We have a brass lamp that separates into 4 pieces and needs to be refinished. I believe there is a finish coat on it, like a lacquer to keep in from tarnishing. There are spots on the lamp that can...
5
5

Laminate flooring joint problem: Problem solved
Thanks to all who helped me out with my laminate questions. Problem solved last week. All it took was 28" of flood water in my basement.
1
1

Economical Pressure Washer ?
I want a very low-cost pressure washer, just for simple things like washing my car, washing siding and gentle washing of my deck. I think I want something that will do about 1500 psi, correct ? Would...
22
22

Church hinge follow up
Turns out, it's the door closer that is groaning. Sigh. After all that work. Well, it's all good. I got some really nifty ideas of how to deal with squeaky hinges. And a few wiseacres, who reallly...
13
13

Comment on Chinese drywall
"Things are so bad in American manufacturing that we cannot even make shoddy products anymore. We have to import them from China." blogger makes the point that Katrina drove folks from New Orleans to...
17
17

Perhaps OT? Cleaning a headstone
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a...
10
10

ot - Electricity
Picked up someplace eons ago, and just ran across the file. Bob-tx ASK DAVE: WHAT IS ELECTRICITY? by Dave Barry Today's scientific question is: What in the world is electricity? And where does it go...
1
1

Horizontal TV Antenna Separation
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just get an additional one with a dedicated lead. Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this...
24
24

do simpson meters use fluke-style leads?
Don't have the two together to compare. Have a brand new set of Fluke leads, but they're not here right now. thanks nate
13
13