Subject Author Posted Replies

Pinhole leaks in attic pipe -- diagnosis and replacement questions
I had a flood, due to a leaking pipe in my attic crawlspace (brick house, built 1943, Tucson AZ, pipe likely put in during 1970 kitchen remodel). The leak was apparently due to corrosion the plumber...
6
6

GFCI vs appliance manufacturers -previously elec code Q
In an earlier thread I stated I needed to add some circuits in the basement and several replied that by code they need to be GFI. Several of the major appliance manufacturers, including GE, Amana etc...
34
34

How To Fix/Repair Rock Salt Burned Yellow Lawn!?
Hello All, This question I am asking is not a problem that I have, but a problem that I am trying to help someone with. I have an eldery 85 year old neighbor, that I am trying to help out. Here is the...
27
27

Freezer question, your experience.
It never pumps air out to begin with sounds more realistic NT
59
59

Long bolt: make my own?
I need to attach some wood to a post at the top of my stairs to be able to mount a baby gate. I was just going to bolt the wood to the post. Problem is that the bolts have to be pretty long. I bought...
39
39

Shed double door replacement
In the grand scheme of things this is a pretty minor problem. But........ The double doors on my shed have deteriorated past fixing. I need to open both at once to get my riding mower in and out. I...
12
12

A/C Compressor problem
I have a 5 year old Trane XL14i - 3 ton I think. Yesterday I noticed it getting warm and the blower was running, but the compressor and fan were off. The contactor was engaged and power was getting to...
11
11

installing washing machine drain pan
Should i glue the pan down to the floor or just set it under the washer ?
1
1

Cherry-picker Rates
The thread about backhoe rates prompts me to ask: ... I live in and own a 4-story Brownstone which like most such buildings is about 10 feet from the property line which in turn immediately abuts the...
6
6

Any Water Well experts on here
I have a in ground well with the well pipe coming out of the ground. Take the cap off the pipe there is the pressure switch. About once a week water will stop coming in the house. I have to go the...
23
23

Use old breaker panel as junction box?
I'm going to upgrade my electrical service from 100A to 200A. New meter, new panel and all that. What I want to know is wheter I can leave the old breaker panel on the wall with the new one mounted...
31
31

Leaving Battery In Charger Long Term?
Think back to the many discussions in this group about Smart Chargers and whether it's OK to leave the batteries in the chargers "long term". I just received a 24V B&D Trimmer as a gift. The...
23
23

K & T wiring
I've seen old houses where all circuits enter the breaker box as cables, but some rooms still have knob-and-tube wiring. (A homeowner who needed to upgrade wiring for his kitchen may have found the...
70
70

Kohler faucet-poor temp regulation
A house we just moved into has two identical Kohler faucets. The one for the MB shower stall sucks for temperature regulation. It can sometime take 3-5 minutes to get the temperature correct, with the...
2
2

Brass Door Handle
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave. It always gets tarnished. Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door...
25
25