Subject Author Posted Replies

sanding down a formica surface
We have a dining table with a two sided top. One has a good real wood veneer finish and the other a fairly pleasent woodgrained pattern formica. I decided to take some scratches out of the formica...
11
11

peculiar fuse sizes in fuse block
Hi. I have 100amp service to my home, entering the main old(er) fuse panel to a 100AMP fuse block, then splitting 3ways: one set of wires to a separate new(er) panel (with about 20 circuit breakers...
3
3

Replacing the bearings on a front-loading washer
Hello, My 6 year old Kenmore front loading clothes washer was getting louder during the spin cycle, so I figured the bearings were worn. I tore it down to remove the two bearings holding the spin...
6
6

OT: Postal mailbox, is it necessary?
Is it necessary (required by law) for my home to have a mailbox? I tried googleing around but could not find a difinitive answer. I cant think of any reason to have a mailbox lately, as I can instruct...
28
28

setting tile with mortar in basement
I am setting 12 X12 glazed ceramic tile on my basement's concrete floor. I have been using premixed mortar from a big box store, applied with a notched trowel the way you're supposed to. I have a few...
2
2

deck skirts
It is. Get some Talstar One (shop ebay for the best $) and spray 1' up and 1' out every 90 days, according to the label directions. I'd probably use a 1/2 strength concentration. I think I'd stack a...
10
10

How to pour a footer for block wall
I want to make a block wall that is of various heights. This will be an undulating wall covered with stucco, a southwest type with wrought iron, wood railing, and pipe inserts. When making a footer,...
16
16

need to remove old paint
I have some kitchen cabinets that has paint on the ends where someone painted th wall. How can i get it off without hurting the cabinet ?
10
10

white-white 240 volts?????
I'm redoing the utility room in our 40 year old house, and I stupidly removed the socket from the box to put in a GFCI without marking the original wires. Stupidly because there has been some previous...
5
5

A Mystery Whine...solved
Heard a loud, mysterious whine in the bathroom next to my home office. Audible in the basement, too, loudest under the bathroom. One by one, turned off each of my 32 breakers. The whine disappeared...
1
1

Toshiba Flat Screen TV
I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late mother-in-law. It is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just quit on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?
11
11

OT: More regs - OSHA fines USPS
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has fined the United States Postal Service $357,000 for, among other things, "violations include workers using bar-code readers and elevator-control...
8
8

Are BOX fans dangerous????
I recently had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info regarding this??
102
102

Sticky floor - sand or solvent?
Spouse has very nicely removed the ugly linoleum-type tiles from the samll powder room's floor. Now the wood shows, but is a bit sticky. Before we finish the floor, should we just sand, or is it...
10
10

More on furniture refinishing? ? ?
Thanks to all who gave me advice on oil vs. water finishing coat. I've decided on oil. But there's another problem. When I sanded the table top, the wood turned out to be not mahogany but something...
9
9