Subject Author Posted Replies

Solar & Wind Power Excesses / back to the grid
I was told that if a person operates a solar or wind generator, and if they produce more power than they need, this power is put back into the grid, and the producer is actually paid for the energy...
15
15

Do they even make these
Friend is going on couple month trip. He wants to put monitors for water near his sump pump and near his water heater. He would like it if they could e-mail him (I suggested texting might be quicker)...
7
7

A question about nailing 1/4" HardieBacker to a subfloor
Hi all: I've sent this message to the HardieBacker folks but I thought I'd also ask here, just in case. I'm a homeowner putting down HardieBacker as part of a bathroom floor tiling project. I've read...
6
6

Are you satisfied with your electric service?
I got a call today that showed up as "Private Caller" on my caller ID. He claimed he was from the County Electric Membership Corporation. I don't know if the call was ligit or not, but the guy asked...
7
7

? How much to pay
Here in central Texas, we had 12+ inches of rain last Wednesday & Wednesday night. We needed it but it is too late to save my grass/weeds. Anyway, we had a leak around the fireplace chimney, and it...
12
12

Replacing section of lawn sprinkler pipe
I have to replace about 20 feet of 1-inch black poly pipe between the house and the five-zone manifold. About six feet of the pipe passes under a paver brick walkway, which I don't want to disturb....
34
34

I'm in the wrong business (bedbugs)
As some of you may know, there seems to be a national infestation of bedbugs, as has been noted recently in the NY Times and elsewhere. Apparently it has nothing to do with cleanliness or the lack...
54
54

Last lightbulb factory closes - sniff
"[WINCHESTER, VA.] The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent light bulbs in the United States is closing this month, marking a small, sad exit for a product and company that can trace...
44
44

Toilet - Slow Flush
Just subscribed to this group so I apologize if this is widely known. My toilet started flushing slowly. Floaters needed a couple flushes. Hardly any vortex to speak of. Very weak flush. It's a...
7
7

Why Insulation is a Good Investment
Why Insulation is a Good Investment Investing in products to make homes more energy efficient pays significant dividends over a lifetime =97 with none of the wild fluctuations of Wall Street....
2
2

Fuses keep blowing
I live in an old house and the light in the bedroom has a pull string and not a switch. I wanted a switch so I found the outlet nearest the door and I removed the outlet and replaced it with a switch....
11
11

Mirror Tile Removal
Some observations that might be useful. Dining room wall with 9' x 5' mirrored with 12" square tiles. These were stuck onto painted drywall with glue tabs at each corner. Glue tabs are 1" square....
21
21

Sale of lead screw anchors in California.
I=92m having a lot of trouble finding lead screw anchors here in California; especially the 5/16=94ones for # 10-14 screws. The store clerks are telling me that lead anchors are banned in California...
64
64

Fiberglass or aluminum screen?
Client wants me to replace her screen-door screen. I'm not sure whether to use aluminum or fiberglass. What would you use, and why? House is in Oakland, CA, mild climate. (It is exposed to PM sun.)...
9
9

Non-Stick Surface On Steam Irons
Do they still use teflon, or is there a better type of material on the soleplate of steam irons?
56
56