Subject Author Posted Replies

Drilling a hole in tool grade steel
My 1978 Craftsman loping sheers have a loose handle so I decided to drill and bolt them together. Using a drill press at 300 RPM and cutting oil for lubrication I managed to kill 4 HS dewalt bits and...
10
10

Doorbell mystery
OK, so a new client has a very puzzling problem. Their doorbell stopped working. I went underneath the house to find the transformer and wiring: found *nothing*. Nothing in that crawlspace but phone...
13
13

A Semi-Cathedral Ceiling: Any Suggestions or Objections?
We're using Perma "R" polystyrene panels (2") for insulation of a semi- cathedral ceiling with roof ventilators and open soffits (cold roof). The area being so covered will extend on both sides of the...
1
1

X10 questions
I use an A10 system. It will control devices on one side of my bedroom but not the other side, not even when the 240 volt electric oven is on. Is there a under 20 dollar solution to this problem? Is...
7
7

laminate and subfloor
I have a 20's home with hardwood subfloors. I've done a good bit of work on the subfloor and there are some transitions of slightly differing heights. I'll be putting down laminate with the best pad I...
6
6

control boards in modern appliances
in the last 3 years i bought a GE refrigerator, a Jenn Air oven and a whirlpool dishwasher. within 2 years, ALL of them blew out their control boards. anyone have any idea what's up with all this? who...
65
65

replacing dishwasher control board
have to replace the control board on my whirlpool quiet partner I dishwasher...have ordered part. besides shutting off power, any hints or tricks to make it easier? thanks much

Clear Vu?
Restoring leaky thermal pane windows. Removing moisture. Any one have it tried? Or just forget it and replace the leaky panes.
2
2

OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?
OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase? A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine. I can't get a good answer how much. says nothing about...
34
34

Refrigerator not working again
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not working. The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be unable to start, tripping an overload relay. After some...
247
247

Stain on vinyl floor removal?
We moved our washer and dryer to the basement from the 1st floor and the two front foot pads from the washer left what I thought was rust stains on the vinyl floor. Tried the vinegar/baking soda...
3
3

Old Copper Pipes
I replaced the lines that went over to the sink and to the toilet. The lines in this picture go to the outlets to the tub and over to where the split off to the sink and toilet. Would you replace...
23
23

A/C Condensate Drain Pipe Cleaning Guide with pictures
A few years ago I was living in a home where the air handler was up in the attic. I neglected to ever maintain the air handler's drain pipe so it eventually clogged up and started leaking water down...

cleaning mold...
Although I don't want clean mold, I want gone mold ;) I've got a patch on one of the concrete basement walls that I want to get rid of, prior to painting the wall with moisture-sealer. A professional...
8
8

Question about jet pump losing prime, and foot valve
Hi, I've a 75ft deep well, a jet pump (1HP, manufacturer=Goulds), and a 32gal water tank. The well sanitary cap, pump and tank are completely accessible and observable. I've noticed that the pump will...
1
1