Subject Author Posted Replies

backer board seams
I'm about ready to lay down the backer board on my counter tops so I can lay the 18" granite tile down. I don't really understand backer board though. It wants to be snapped in straight pieces which...
12
12

Wood Stove Information
We bought a house last year that has a wood stove with the name Pineridge Genuine Wood Stove printed on it. We just had a small fire in it last year with the door open and grate on but didn't use it...
4
4

Inexpensive Fluorescent Lights
Many years ago I installed a row of inexpensive F40T12 double tube fixtures in my garage. They are starting to go, finally. But, the tubes seem to be going individually. After swapping tubes around,...
5
5

OT - Heat output of oil lamp
Wick type oil or "kerosene" lamps from Walmart or other places. They put out some heat. But, how much? Any idea how to figure out the BTU per hour? My thought is that they burn about an ounce of oil...
39
39

Any additional tips/suggestions/hints for dispensing gasoline from 30-55 gallon drum at home?
I'm considering gassing the cars & off-road vehicles from a fuel drum at home in a remote area dozens of miles from the nearest gas station. While I'm in the planning stage, it would be helpful to...
23
23

Question about airtubs- Specifically tubs by MAAX...thoughts on this brand
Hi, I will be having an airtub installed in my bathroom.. I was wondering if anyone here has any first hand experience with a company called Maax? This will be there Pearl series.. Does anyone know...
9
9

LV Cable Connections - Current Practice?
Anybody up on the state-of-the-art in making connections for low voltage landscape lighting cable connections? I've used various dodges over the years to connect the black "lamp cord" - rubbish...
12
12

Why do painted surfaces stick together?
I recently painted a couple of casement windows by removing them and working on them indoors. They were correctly primed and painted according to instructions, except that due to time constraints,...
43
43

Finding a stud in plaster lath
I'm setting up a wall mounted bar counter top and want to find some studs under the plaster lath to sink the brackets in. I have a Stanley IntelliSensor Plus with 3 different depth settings. All of...
15
15

How do I change the oil
How do I change the oil in my toilet? It's not flushing as well as it used to, and I was told it needs an oil change.
4
4

HeatTrak Stair Mats
Got a sales notice today from Costco featuring HeatTrak stair mats and door mats. Could see where these things might be of value if they actually work. Anyone here with their own personal comments?
7
7

This is going to be expensive
This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in. noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good...
18
18

Stove faucet
We're remodeling, and putting a water spray near the stove for filling up large vessels, and other times when water is needed at the stove. Anyone know the proper terminology for these? Anyone have...
28
28

Replace spark plugs
Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)? I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the...
36
36

Sheathing plywood RTD or CDX
What's the difference between RTD and CDX plywood for sheathing (walls and roof) use? CDX appears to be twice as expensive as RTD. The walls sheathing will be covered by house wrap.
16
16