Subject Author Posted Replies

HeatTrak Stair Mats
Got a sales notice today from Costco featuring HeatTrak stair mats and door mats. Could see where these things might be of value if they actually work. Anyone here with their own personal comments?
7
7

This is going to be expensive
This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in. noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good...
18
18

Stove faucet
We're remodeling, and putting a water spray near the stove for filling up large vessels, and other times when water is needed at the stove. Anyone know the proper terminology for these? Anyone have...
28
28

Replace spark plugs
Has anyone replaced the plugs on a 2000 malibu (or similar motor)? I wanted to have the 6 plugs on my 2000 Malibu replaced and I was told it would cost $191 to do it. Is there that much labor in the...
36
36

Sheathing plywood RTD or CDX
What's the difference between RTD and CDX plywood for sheathing (walls and roof) use? CDX appears to be twice as expensive as RTD. The walls sheathing will be covered by house wrap.
16
16

Attaching light fixtures to trees....
Awl -- A sodium lamp fixture, 10# or so. I see two options: screw right into the tree (SS deck screws?), or big hose clamps (or threaded-rod/plate equiv) around the tree. Both can impact the tree, it...
48
48

Asphalt resurfacing. . .
The asphalt parking lot of our six-unit condo building is beginning to crack badly and I'd like to know some options. A year or so ago a similar building not far away did
12
12

Concrete on top of concrete?
A tree root lifted part of the sidewalk leading to my door three inches. I cut the root so it won=92t grow and am going to pour a concrete ramp on top of the existing sidewalk so no one trips anymore....
20
20

Cutting a notch in the bottom plate
I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on a concrete slab. I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab below. Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch?...
20
20

Programmable Thermostat
I decided to replace my 6 year old digital thermostat (Honeywell), with a new programmable thermostat (Hunter). The wiring is the basic White,Yellow, Green, Red. The new thermostat had the following...
15
15

Hammerite Rust Cap Paint - Too Thick, Too Quick For Me!
I've been using some Hammerite Rust Cap to paint some tire rims - brush on, not spray. The stuff is so thick and dries so quickly that I'm having a hard time getting a smooth, even finish. The...
18
18

Bathroom Remodel- Demo Job, older home w/ plaster walls
Hi.. I have a bathroom that will be remodeled.. House is 50 years old.. Bathroom has plaster walls.. The current tile goes up about 5 feet high.. Then from there to the ceiling its plaster.... Some...
16
16

solar panel
Question on the 45 watt chicago electric solar panel that Harbor Freight sells for $150.00 .Anybody have any experience with these units ? What could a person power with one ? coffee pot ,light bulb?...
87
87

refilling swimming pool after marcite/plaster job
what is the name of the filtering system, where to purchase, when refilling a swimming pool after marcite job? the purpose of the filter is just one use, to remove all trace minerals from tap water,...
4
4

Seamless Epoxy Flooring
I passed a truck on the way in today. From what I could make out, it was from a seamless epoxy flooring company in my area. I thought this might be a good way to re-surface my laundry room floor. The...
6
6