Subject Author Posted Replies

Getting the last little bit of liquid out of cans before they hit the recycle bin
No, it's not a troll. We always have a little puddle of ooze at the bottom of the recycle bin that attracts all sorts of insects. Anyone have a good way of emptying pop-tops cans completely other than...
34
34

Craigslist Murder
"North Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) - It's a vicious crime that could've happened to anyone. A mechanic is murdered on the job, and police say if the killer had his way, a second person could also be dead....
4
4

Halogen mini can lights
?Our new home has many of the Halogen mini floods in the ceiling. These are the type about 2-1/2" across, bulb is shaped with a reflector and with 2 pins on the back of the bulb. To replace the bulb,...
3
3

Replace bathroom light with no junction box
I removed my old bathroom light and there was no box. The wires were just fed through a hole in the wall. I have a new light fixture that requires being mounted to a box and weighs about 10 pounds....
10
10

All outlets must be replaced by 2012
A new law just went into effect in the electrical codes. By the end of 2011. December 31, 2011, all electrical outlets will be required to be replaced in every home, garage, shed, barn and commercial...
10
10

Not 1/4 Round?
Just back from buying some 3/4" quarter-round (well, 95/128" or whatever) . It isn't a quarter circle profile, though. The right angle part (the middle of the circle) has been machined off. Didn't...
8
8

how long will old boiler last?
Here's my question stated simply: How long do boilers generally last? I'm trying to determine if the one in my home will last through this coming heating season. Is there any way to check besides...
29
29

HF Multi-Tool -- Another reason I didn't know I needed one.
Broke down a month or two ago and bought their top of line multi-tool with no clear reason why I needed it. It is the kind of tool that you find good reasons for owning, as I have discovered several...
21
21

resurfacing swimming pool patio deck with pavers
planned on getting a suitable cement mix and using coping stones (with 90 degree over the pool edge turn) to surface the swimming pool edge and then lay down 1 inch thick pavers to cover the deck. is...

Foam board insulation and wiring
I'm redoing my basement and I have put in some of the rigid pink insulation boards on the wall. So far, I've attached the boards to the wall, and built a frame (1 1/2") on top of that. I'm planning on...
13
13

flooring uneven basement
I am redoing my basement (see my other posts :) ), and I am considering flooring. We have a cement floor, which is not perfectly level (it goes up a bit near the walls for example, and I think there's...
4
4

What is best trim for H7ICT hi-hat and BR-30 bulbs?
I recently installled some HALO H7ICT 6" hi-hats in a kitchen reno, and now I need to buy the bulbs will be 65w BR-30. I tested out a 310 baffle, and although it looked nice, you can still see some of...
4
4

wiring a light switch
I am replacing a wall light fixture in an apartment that, according to the tenant has never worked. The fixture has a black wire and a white wire. The switch is in a plastic box and has red, white and...
13
13

How to cover a basement drain
Hi all, A basement floor drain is 6" across but sits 8" below the surface of the concrete floor. The concrete floor slopes down to the drain (like a funnel), the entire thing is about 36" in diameter....
15
15

Trane XL80 won't heat
I have a Trane XL80 that tries to heat but sometimes fails with a call for heat, but no flame detected. It is not the flame detector as the flame is not there. It turns on the gas, but the ignitor...
5
5