Subject Author Posted Replies

toilet won't flush all the way
greeting, i have an older toilet (1988) that you have to hold the handle down for the bowl to completely flush. i replaced the flapper but that didn't work. what else could it be? i am thinking of...
14
14

condensation on metal porch roof
Hi, I have a metal roof on an outside porch attachment [no ac, no heat] and the roof gets a lot of condensation on the underside in the morning, and sometimes drips and gets things wet. Can I just...
3
3

Stupid Reasons to Blow Circuit Breakers
A Humbling Post here: I go years without popping a breaker and then I pop 2 different ones in one day - both of which were my own fault. 1 - Cleaning the garage the day after Thanksgiving. It's a bit...
36
36

Making concrete look old & dirty
I need to patch some concrete outside and I want to be able to match the color (basically 'dirty looking') and make it look old & weathered. Can I just add a little 'dirt' (i.e. soil) to the mix to...
13
13

furnace not getting house up to temp: suggestions?
When the weather here in the mid-Atlantic turned cold in the last month, we began experiencing a problem in our house we didn't have last year. The programmable thermostat will call for a temperature...
32
32

Possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam?
Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can...
25
25

OT - Funnel Touchdown + others
That first one is awesome. Old but never saw it. http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Dramatic-Storm-Clouds/ss/events/sc/113010stormclouds/im:/ydownload_ap/20101130/photos_net_ap_ts/1291155371/

Hot bus bar replacement?
I had a problem in electric service panel in a home that I own. One of the breakers kept tripping. When I checked it out, the breaker was basically fried and when I took it out it looked like the...
22
22

OT How expensive would it be to add wireless technology to a glucose meter?
I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). It stores the time and date and the BG levels. It would be trivial to also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's...
9
9

On gas water heaters
A buddy of mine asked this question and since my b-i-l the plumber is traveling this week, I thought I'd ask youse people. His kid is going away over the holidays and wants to turn off the water to...
22
22

Kohler 12kw Propane Generator
On the Automatic Transfer Switch, there are two blue buttons. One is a manual test switch. The other has a clock on it and this second one is the exercise set button. Holding it down for 3 seconds...
2
2

Metal Spinning - Pretty Cool!
I saw this on the How It's Made the other day. There's lot's of youtube videos for Metal Spinning. This one shows both CNC spinning and hand-tooling. never knew this process existed. The hand-tooling...
8
8

Pump Style Oil Cans Not Working
I salvaged a set of pump style oil cans from Grandpa's workshop. The actual age is unknown, but I'd guess they are 40 - 50 years old. Other than size and color, this picture describes them perfectly....
6
6

Wiring a double outlet, how-to dept.
I just want to share something I stumbled upon; I always put in double outlets when we do a room over in our old house, but have had problems with getting the wires that connect the 2 together the...
11
11

Why is a multi-room DVR something worth crrowing about?
In the last 4 years, up to this day, the cable companies have made a big deal about a multiroom DVR. Why? I"ve had multi-room VR since 1984 -- would have had it earlier if I'd had a VCR earlier --...
22
22