Subject Author Posted Replies

Q: Omni Whole House Filter Question?
I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every 1-2 months depending on conditions. Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and spinning the filter...
10
10

Do I really need 200 A main service?
I am building an addition to my house and thought of upgrading my 150 A service and panel to 200 A. However after weighing the cost (upward of $1500 in my area) and benefit I started having second...
102
102

Track Lighting w/Ceiling Fan?
Is there any type of ceiling fitting that will accomodate feeding a track lighting system and a standard type of ceiling fan? In my kitchen, I want to replace a 48" fluorescent fixture with a track,...
9
9

Do you have an old oil fired boiler?
Do you have an old oil fired boiler? This is the time to get rid of it and save a lot of money. Take advantage of the $1500 energy credit while you can. I just got an oil delivery and paid $3 a...
1
1

TV with external speakers
Hi, I have a question that's probably off-topic for this group, but this is the group where I get all my answers so I'm going for it. I want to connect my TV to external ceiling speakers in the...
12
12

Well pump hook up.
I was using the water today to de-ice some tools when the water slowed way down then stopped. I am intimate with the well and it's hook ups from previous experiences. I hooked all of it up myself and...
16
16

Sheetrock repair question
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$% plastic pipe anyhow...). Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s or 2x4s to build a frame around the...
13
13

Panasonic Viera TV ****-up
Any recommendations for a good, solid, non-crazy TV NG? I am royally pissed with the new 32" I bought through Amazon. My SMART neighbor helped me set it up. Yes, we have all the plugs in the right...
30
30

Unusual door knob sizes
Recently bought a house built in the 50's. The front and rear door have been replaced recently, but I wanted to replace the knobs on the interior doors. Modern door knobs are sold with two settings...
5
5

OT removing sticky residue from windshield
Our state has two stickers on the inside of auto windshields - inspection sticker & license renewal. New ones are put on each year. Using a razor blade scraper takes the old paper off, but sticky...
19
19

protect shallow pipe
Back to my gutter drains. Thin wall 4" PVC pipe, in some places buried only a few inches deep -- no more than the pipe diameter. How best to protect it? I've thought of laying PT 1x4 on top of the...
17
17

New gas furnace/AC recommendations?
I've decided to take my own advice and look in to getting a new natural gas furnace and AC unit installed before the $1500 tax credit runs out at the end of the year. Not much time left, I know. To...
160
160

What are the meta/viny furance/main-duct connectors called?
Thanks again for your help about bricks under the furnace. What do you call those things in the main ductwork close to the furnace that are mostly vinyl, 6 inches high, that clamp on to the ducts at...
2
2

Electric Water Heater
How are newer electric water heaters more efficient than old ones if they are in a heated living space.
37
37

How to replace a broken freezer ice maker - GE Hotpoint Refrigerator
I just replaced the ice maker machine in the freezer of our GE Hotpoint refrigerator after it stopped working a few days ago. The replacement assembly was about $50 on eBay. I took pictures of the...