Subject Author Posted Replies

Good product: Maax shower door kit
From the giving credit where credit is due dep't: Just finished installing a set of shower doors for a client. They bought them (online from Home Despot). Fairly simple kit, from Maax (a Canuck...
4

OT: DiHydrogen monoxide petition drive
At the Cancun United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP 16) symposium. Every delegate approached by the petition-wielders signed the petition. (Whether they stopped at, say, five, or...
26
26

Questions on new gas furnace and AC
Going through the quote process for my new furnace and AC and came up with two questions: 1 - Are new refrigerant lines required or recommended? The existing system is 26 years old, still working no...
17
17

Things to consider about foreclosure and underwater mortgages
's an article on how a Florida woman fought her foreclosure for 25 YEARS! http://4closurefraud.org/http://mortgagecrime.info/ WSJ - The 25-Year 'Foreclosure From Hell' - Foreclosure Fraud Foreclosure...

The end of home repairs - things to consider before buying a house
Fantastic article in the left column, which exposes dirty tricks Realtors use and the questionable tax benefits of house ownership. The links on the right side lead to many more great articles.

Electrical Breaker 'cheat'?
Hi all, This is a code question more than anything, but I thought it might be worth looking at. I recently had a 240V electrical heating circuit added. #12 wire, 20A breaker. Max load is 3840W, but I...
7
7

How far can water wick up soil?
Even though there's a vapor barrier covering the dirt in my crawlspace, there is still a strong musty smell in there that sometimes migrates into living area. The soil under the vapor barrier is moist...
5
5

Blank-Blank Toilet Bolt Covers
I forgot to put the base for the toilet bolt covers under the nuts!!! Can I remove the nuts and retighten without damaging the flange seal or do I have to pull the pot, put in a new wax ring, etc?...
4
4

FloodSafe supply hoses - any experience?
I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses. As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but instead I came across...
10
10

Garden Hose Freeze Protection
I have a commercial quality 1" rubber garden hose. Faucet is sheltered in the basement. We are due for some cold weather (12F). I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?...
17
17

late (too late) winterizing of water faucets: 24F, can't open outside faucet
A little help, please. (Yeah, should have done the water 2 weeks ago, at least!) Anyway, it's now 24f outside (1am night), can't "open" the valve in the faucet. Try to twist-open the faucet (ie...
49
49

need help with leather
I have an expensive case specially fitted for fountain pens which has been left in a cupboard. The leather both outside and inside seems to have degraded and become sticky. Is there anything I can do...
6
6

On aging
There's an incredibly stupid commercial with somebody called something like the "bowel lady." I flip away when ever it comes on. You're right about bullshit. Plaque? Next they'll be selling bowel...
8
8

Sikai drawer slides
There is a company in my town that was bringing in Chinese cabinets. The guy has about 1,000 Sikai drawer glides. There are a couple of different lengths. I can get all of them for a very cheap price....
1
1

Drywall over brick walls in basement
I live in Toronto. I have an old (c 1920) brick home with an unfinished basement. I would like to drywall the basement to give it a bit of a finished look. The walls are dry. There is some...
11
11