Subject Author Posted Replies

Have wasp spray ready when you open the flue
Last year when I opened the fireplace flue for the first time in winter, several wasps fell down into the fireplace. They started to liven up in the warmth of the house, so they had to be killed...
9
9

pipe tee definition
Pipe tee (definition): a fitting designed to couple three pipes and two roots. Example:...
9
9

Leak in kitchen
Had one of the valves under the kitchen sink leak when we were gone for a couple of days. Mucho water in the kitchen to the point there is water coming up from under the tiles in front of the area. We...
13
13

What to do after oil stain?
Should I wipe on a coat of linseed oil after oil-staining new bare wood? If I don't paint it, and don't need a great finish, I usually "finish" wood one of two ways: 1) Linseed oil wiped on and wiped...
7
7

DIY Star Trek doorway
If there's a fire, don't you just escape by teleporting to somewhere else?
14
14

What Is a Furnace Draft Inducer Blower? I'll tell you what it is ...
It's another component that can fail on you on the coldest night of the year, over a holiday weekend, fouling up your vacation or christmas plans. Tell me if your precious, modern furnaces with their...
122
122

Diamond tip drill bits and saw blades
I'm wondering if the cost of diamond tipped blades and bits may rise in the near future. One of the biggest fastest growing fad in jewelry is "chocolate" and "black" diamonds. In the past most all...
8
8

Mansfield Flush Valve
Looks like my ancient Mansfield toilet needs to have the flush valve seal, possibly the entire assembly replaced. Although messy doesn't appear to be too difficult a job. Curious as to whether that...
1
1

220 to 110?
Can I use my 220 volt outlet ( air conditioner use ) to a 110 usage with an adapter of some sort? Seems a waste for its only use is for the AC which is used sparingly, usually during extreme heat...
13
13

Outside Christmas LED Lights -- dull and weak....
Ok, so this year I went out to buy some more outside Christmas lights. Much to my surprise, I could not find any REAL lights, just the fake led lights. I looked at all the big box stores, including...
43
43

leavin conductors exposed
i got a desk lamp from ebay like the one in the image link below. the bulb is held up by two adjustable telescopic rods, exactly the same type as you would find on the aerial of a FM radio. they are...
4
4

Noise reduction for speakers
I have 4 speakers in my apartment. I would like to minimize the vibration transmitted to the floor. Right now, they are sitting on towels. Look for those "on the cheap" ideas. :-) Andy
41
41

Refrigerator question.
Just replaced my old refrigerator. Want to sell or donate it but really would like to know the rated size (i.e. How big in cubic feet). BUT a Google search and a phone call to a parts supplier have...
10
10

CLUNK in ductwork
Greetings, Little brick bungalow in the midwest US, built in 1954, poured-concrete foundation. Standard forced-air HVAC, galvanized duct-work. New Heil furnace/AC in 03-2010. For years, in the winter,...
4
4

Good product: Maax shower door kit
From the giving credit where credit is due dep't: Just finished installing a set of shower doors for a client. They bought them (online from Home Despot). Fairly simple kit, from Maax (a Canuck...