Subject Author Posted Replies

Vacant property causes cracked sewer pipes?
I participate in a real estate investor discussion group and the topic came up about old cast iron sewer pipes tending to crack in properties that have been vacant for a long time. One theory offered...
7
7

Loose refrigerator door handle
The refrigerator (GE) door handle is getting loose from constant pulling. I don't see an obvious way to get at the fasteners to tighten them. Any ideas?
12
12

Premium GFI outlets?
Was looking for a new GFI outlet for the bathroom. Went to the local big box hardware store. Saw a GFI brand selling for about $7. Saw another brand, costing about $12 that said it was a "premium"...
5
5

Looking for clear lap cement.
I need a product that has the same thickness and consistency and waterproof quality as lap cement but is clear or transparent and not black or runny like Thompson=92s. If anyone has any ideas I would...
3
3

LED Flashlight Emergency Light Combo at Costco
Just found a great product at Costco. It's a rechargable LED flashlight with a charger base that plugs into a wall outlet. With the flashlight on the base, it also serves as an emergency light. When...
1
1

cleaning out espresso coffee machine
I have a solenoid type espresso machine which seems to be completely blocked up I can hear the pump pumping and water comes out of the wand so the pump is clearly working but nothing comes out of the...
8
8

Flat Screen TVs
I know, not really a home repair question, but I don't know of a better place for this. Surprise! For Christmas, I now have a beautiful 47" flat screen TV. This is to replace my 10 year old 36" JVC...
31
31

Spray painting speaker grills
Hi, I have bought white paintable in-wall speakers. I would like to spray paint them now, but I'm worried about the paint clogging the grilles. Any word of advice here? Like, spray from a few more...
5
5

Why aren't many / most LED light bulbs dimmable?
I'm seeing more LED lightbulbs turning up on store shelves. I don't think I've seen one yet that is ok to use with a dimmer switch. I can understand why CFL's can't be put on a dimmer - but why not...
122
122

Two q's about CFLs
In my garage, I have a fluorescent light -- the long kind with two "bulbs" -- nd two CFLs-- the spiral type. Q #1: When I put on the garage lights, the fluorescent buzzes horribly. Today, it didn't...
7
7

What to fill gap between sink and counter?
There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage...
8
8

Shower tile repair
I was recaulking my shower/tub, and noticed that some tiles were loose. I pulled 3 tiles off the wall, and saw that the wall board (I'm not sure which type) had some water damage. I see plenty of...
6
6

Cheap shower ideas.
I have a utility room off the kitchen in the rental. I'd like to put a second bath in there. It's about 52" wide. I can take up as much of 10' as I need, the remainder will have the water heater and...
15
15

Constructing a Garage Office/Studio
We have a two car garage in our new home, which is about 8 months old. We = didn't get the garage insulated, which I'm kicking myself now for, but I'm = throwing around the idea of insulating the...
5
5

Insulate Floor Duct
I have a heating duct that empties up into the room at the perimeter of the house where it is cantilevered 18" over the 1st floor. The duct ending is run between the two joists and is missing...
6
6