Subject Author Posted Replies

Furnace or thermostat problem?
If my thermostat's been set to 64 or 65 all day and I bump it up to, say, 68, I find maybe 20 minutes later that the house temp (measured at the thermostat) is still where it was before raising the...
3
3

Does hard plastic (humidifier) develop micro-leaks?
I've had a humidifier and a cat drinking fountain both develop unexplained leaks. They both consist of a hard plastic base and a water reservoir that sits in the base, with a part that lets water into...
4
4

[OT] 1997 Plymouth Voyager Van and Erratic Door Locks and Rodents
This is a two part-er. The first part is about repairing a defective lock mechanism. The second is how to keep rodents out of the engine area. About 3 weeks ago after returning from a 4 week trip, I...
4
4

East Coast and snow
Now do you people understand what we go thru in WNY on a daily basis? I live on the Lake Ontario shore line. Plow, plow, plow at least once each day and several days 2 or 3 times a day. I must say...
30
30

What do you think of this plan to get rid of bedbugs?
I wanted to get your reaction to this plan. I don't have bedbugs. It's only an academic question for me, but someone sent this to me, and I'm interested in your reaction! We had a small infestation...
30
30

Lightbulb smuggling begins in California
"...the 100-watt incandescent light bulb will be outlawed at midnight on December 31, 2010. "Smuggling bootleg light bulbs into California would be a piece of cake. Just stuff them inside bales of...
13
13

Sewer/Water Policy
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering the sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home? In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc....
37
37

Will an electric oven fire ruin an oven thermostat.
Is a fire in an electric oven likely to totally ruin the thermostat? I had a fire a few days ago, put it out with an ABC fire extinguisher, and when I cleaned up the mess, I removed the bottom element...
5
5

Painting concrete slab
Over the past 30 years, I have used undiluted KEM-TEK MURIATIC ACID three or four times to clean and remove stains on a concrete slab. Now, in some areas, the concrete is rough and my feet hurt when I...
5
5

OT Time saving tip
Put replacement trash bags in the trash can so you will have spares handy when you change the bag.
15
15

Installing 2 sump pumps in basement good alternative to perimeter French Drain?
I live in a split-level home with a half basement that measures 22'X25'. I don't get water in the basement except for prolonged periods of rain over time. and its usually only 1" in the corners of the...
8
8

Basement drain clogged with sand and leaves
I noticed that when I do laundry in the basement, (machine drains to basement sink), the sink backs up and drains veeeery slowly. There's no lint in the sink pipe. So I looked around, and found that...
8
8

toilet, flapper, float
One of my toilets had worked fine until few days ago. When I push the handle, the flapper is lifted and water goes down into the bowl. When I release the handle, the flapper should stay up for a few...
5
5

Then and now
The links are to the Carpe Diem site. It's written by an economics professor. He is comparing what Americans could buy back in the 60s with what we can buy now. Things are better now. The stuff in his...
143
143

New Honeywell digital thermostat
I bought a new thermostat for my furnace. Apparently they're either make crap or want me to think I'm warmer than I am. It shows my room at 80 degrees where I like it but the other thermostat beside...
11
11