Subject Author Posted Replies

Door plate/bar?
I got a new glass pantry door. It swings both ways, and is etched glass inside a 5-6" wide wood frame. I have stained and varnished the frame. I would like to put either two door plates or two bars,...
12
12

Computer NG?
Folks, could you recommend a computer NG where I could seek help for several probs? My guru has moved, and I am bereft....and need to avert a crash. I searched the computer NG lists, but did not find...
41
41

1997 Plymouth Erratic Door Locks, Harness--Chilton
This online shopping website has excellent quality of keya and locks having digital and Mortalized advanced locks with hardly breakable ones. available @ Online Wholesale Hardware Store India |...
4
4

Engineered Oak Hardwood flooring...
I'm considering installing 150 sq feet of engineered hardwood flooring in our soon to be office. I was surprised to learn that Engineered wood is pricier than solid. However the sub floor is concrete...
3
3

2 Part Electrical question...
This is a long post but I'm young and dumb and you guys are smarter and I'm bouncing ideas off. I'm converting the reading room in our home into an office. Against one wall I'd like to build and...
9
9

stranded wire
I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots (porch lights). 12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to work with I was thinking of using some of the rubber coated stranded wire (still 12-3). In...
8
8

Can caulk be microwaved?
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I...
21
21

Crown Molding, Baseboard, Shoe, Door Casing - Live and Learn
What I did and what I'd do if I was doing it all over. Long-winded, but I don't know another way. Just telling what I learned. I'm no expert. Nothing exotic here. FLOORS/BASE/DOOR CASING/PLANNING...
4
4

Dishwasher Problem
Last January, we bought a new Kitchen Aid dishwasher, which cost about $550. There were bargain brands for $300 but we decided to get a better one this time. I installed it myself, as I have all the...
22
22

Re. Snow blower
I had replied to the group and said I bought a Toro Power Shovel, 12 inch wide but no snow here to try it out. Said I would update on this when we got snow. Well the next day we got 3 inches of powder...
2
2

Did I mess up my steam one-pipe system by fiddling with a radiator vent?
HI board. I love my old house but am learning about it as I go - including my one-pipe steam heating system. The boiler is new and works great (dont know specs) and until a recent outage here in CT it...
4
4

How to clean the painted interior of a microwave?
How to clean the interior of a microwave? My sister burned some plastic in her microwave. It has a typical off-white painted, enameled?, metal interior, and it's gotten surprisingly dirty. Spray...
19
19

Adding heat strips to HVAC sys
My heatpump is already backed up by NG. It also switches over to NG when outside temp is about 40F, so why add heatstrips. Rumor has it that in the next couple of years we are going to net metering of...
5
5

Trusses
I have a 24' X 32' pole barn, 10' sidewalls with the trusses on 2 foot centers. I would like to put in a small loft in the back. Would it be possible to remove 2 of the trusses and reinforce the...
4
4

Thanks Guys - For the Stud Finder Tip
Forgot to follow up sooner, but just mentioned the 200' or so of base, shoe and crown molding I put up, and that reminded me. Somebody here mentioned hard drive magnets. Stuck a piece of masking tape...
2
2