Subject Author Posted Replies

Rain Barrel Filled with Ground Water?
I know its winter. But being retired and with idle thoughts I am looking at my neighbor's rain barrel that during the summer collects rain runoff from his roof to water his plants. Our houses in the...
24
24

Finishing drywall
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints? I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the...
24
24

Replacement winders, lead and the EPA
*Got the first bid on replacement windows from a national company for this 1939 hovel. Included is a "mandatory" per window "Lead Renovation Fee" per "Federal Lead Containment Law". Eh, something just...
6
6

stairwell wall bearing or not?
I'm planning to finish my basement and would like to take one side of the stairwell wall and cut it down to a half-wall to open things up a little. Before I do this, I just want to make sure I'm not...
10
10

IKEA Glass Cabinet Assembly by Jeffrey Dach
IKEA Glass Cabinet Assembly by Jeffrey Dach The Ikea store in Sunrise Florida is so huge is can be overwhelming. Best way to describe it is culture shock. Everything comes from Sweden, even the food...
1
1

Water Pressure Range Question
This is more of a discussion starter than a real "I need an answer" question. If you Google around, you'll find that many sites list "normal" residential water pressure as a range, mostly 40 - 60 PSI....
26
26

Moving a shed
The guys who sell prefab sheds here roll them on 4" PVC pipes. You need about 4 or 5 and keep recycling the one rolling out the back to the front. They move a stick built shed like that with 2 guys...
16
16

Let's all search....
I need a keyed door knob to match the one that I uploaded at and I simply can't find one. That is where all of you come in. In your spare time please help me search the Internet for one and if...
4
4

Getting a Sharpie Pen to Flow Again?
I've seen a few solutions on Google. One says put it in a microwave for 5-10 sec. I have my doubts. No one confirmed it. Another was to put it in very hot water, apparently in about 3-4" or so, but...
16
16

HEAT PUMP FAN
I just replaced an identical motor for my Heat Pump. However, the air now sucks from the top pushing down. Looking down at fan it is turning clockwise, The fan blade rests far too low when reversed -...
1
1

Maybe OT 3D TV
?I saw a demo of a Samsung set at a store tonight. I don't think 3D is quite ready for prime time. The set that was playing showed a rock concert. They had glasses for you to use to see the 3D...
13
13

What's the heaviest duty kitchen grease cleaner?
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409 degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky grease still isn't coming off easily. Is there an even...
22
22

drain plug removal (cast iron)
I've got some kind of a cleanout plug on the 4" cast iron street drain. This likely hasn't been open in 80 years. I'm anticipating trouble. Any hints? PB Blaster a waste of time? I figure that I'll...
11
11

T-stat for heater
It's getting cold here at night (30-50F-and my apologies to those for whom these temps are a mild spring day) and I'd like to rig up a heater for an enclosure my sister has for her outside cats. I...
34
34

Centrifugal fan design flaw.
Any centrifugal fan that is secured to the fan motor shaft with only one bolt will eventually become loose and begin to hit the fan cage. This is especially so for fans that are heavy and operated...
10
10