Subject Author Posted Replies

interior door swap
OK, question time. I have a house about 40 years old or so, with hollow core doors, and for whatever reason, they are 78" or were cut to 78"... I Am replacing with clear pine solid doors, problem is,...
11
11

4 inch angle grinder, discs with fine grit for sharpening say drill bits?
With the very coarse grinding discs I have for my 4 inch angled grinder I can put an ok sharp edge on a drill bit. I would like to get hold of some sanding discs that were smoother and finer so that I...
2
2

TSP & Diswashing powder
The two soap dispensers on my dishwasher contain 5 tablespoons each of diswashing powder. Assuming 1 tbsp of TSP per load, the proper ratio then is 10:1 So you get a big mixing bowl, measure out the...
31
31

Any ideas on a bench belt sander?
I had an el cheapo one inch wide belt, belt sander; no flat disk combination. I used it mostly for sharpening knives (carefully with the finest grit I could buy) and touch up on some scroll saw items....
15
15

Kenmore dryer 90 series
My Kenmore series 90 electric dryer shuts off after few minutes using normal cycle or air dry only (without heat). No lints in the dryer or duct.I can rotates motor very easily without any noise....
1
1

What Good Are Pilot Holes?
If you pre-drill, the screw doesn't have much to grab onto. In the old days, they simply turned the screw without any pilot holes. In fact, my dad used to do it that way. The screw threads thereby get...
33
33

Dimmer switch questions
I am trying to figure out a dimmer switch at my mother's house. I can't find any voltage at the light fixture, which is strange because it used to work. The fixture is gone, just wires for now. The...
20
20

Holy Bathtub Batman!
A few years back I noticed a hole had developed next to the drain in our 50 year old porcelain on cast iron (?) bathtub. At first I sealed it with RTV and painted it to match but then I got concerned...
3
3

UPS vs DSL modem
I have a computer and DSL modem tied to an old UPS (with new batteries). When I have a power failure, the computer keeps right on ticking, but I always have to restart the DSL modem. I've even...
37
37

OT: You Tube inoperative
Folks, I have had this on a computer NG since Jan 20, but there has been NO response, so ifyoudontmind, I'll copy it here & hope for a dose of your expertise. I can't think of any events that might...
5
5

Old Sears electric die grinder - can I use a metal cutting wheel with it?
I've got an older Sears electric die grinder, Model #315.27440. I don't remember how I came by it. I didn't buy it. Quite a few years ago I tried using it with a dremel-style tiny cutting-wheel and...
11
11

An extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube
I need an extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube I took out my kitchen faucet and the tubes on the new one doesnt' reach the pipes coming from the wall. One is about 1/2" too short, and the other...
9
9

OT: Wind Generation Follow-up
About 10 days ago or so in a thread on windmills that got waylaid into wind generation, I posted data from the Gray County (KS) wind farm noting a cyclic nature in total output with peaks in early...
98
98

UPS... new battery or replace?
Got an *ancient* (and I do mean ancient) APC UPS... all it does is back up my wireless router. Battery is done. new one I expect to cost $30-40 (which I find extortionate as I buy them for work at...
64
64

revising old bathtub
i have an older bathtub, rigid plastic, that needs updating. i dont want to spend the money to rip it out and replace it. it has the aluminum frame for the track, but no sliding doors or guides in the...