Subject Author Posted Replies

painting stainless steel hose clamps
I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes. I'd like to paint them black as part of my project. any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit differently than...
13
13

Electricity consumption
To measure how much electricity a single home appliance uses: 1. We know there are ammeters, which show the amount of current used instant by instant (as a speedometer shows the speed of a car;) 2....
93
93

Using door and window molding as floor base molding
Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and...
7
7

Revised version of RC beam calculator
The revised verion of RC beam calculator is now available on the updated the page can be used for both systems of unit FPS (north american units) as well as SI/Metric units. Please visit

3.2 cu. ft. Super Capacity Plus Top-Load Washer
3.2 cu. ft. Super Capacity Plus Top-Load Washer. Water leaks while it is not running. I checked the back and the external water lines are all secure. I then opened up the front, dried everything off,...
3
3

Craftsman Reciprocating Saw
I have a 10A Craftsman Reciprocating Saw with a Flip Open Blade Holder. I am unable to use blades from other manufacturers in it as they seem to be thicker than the Craftsman blades. Is this a common...
12
12

Woodpecker problem
The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11 siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm...
16
16

Drain Pipe Burial
I'm going to install plastic piping to route the water from the gutter down spouts out to the street, to stop errosion problems. How deep do I need to bury these pipes? I live on Long Island in NY so...
23
23

How does my new oven work? How did my old oven work?
How does my new oven work? How did my old oven work? Basically, how does the oven work on an electric stove that has no electronics. I think it's been the same for the last 50 years. That is, when I...
16
16

Approximately 700sq ft of Lawn Sod FREE
Craig's list Approximately 700sq ft of Lawn Sod FREE 35ft X 20 ft section of lawn that is all sod...You Must Remove the sod from the ground. ABC rental will rent a SOD cutter that can help you. Plus...
7
7

Caring for hardwood floors
I posted this last night but I never saw it come through, and I didn't see any replies, so I think it was lost in space somewhere. I just got hardwood floors installed in my living room, dining room...
8
8

What happens with an incorrectly wired GFCI
Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires. The...
13
13

Moen "chateau" faucet issues
Hi all I am messing with TWO Moen "Chateau" single handle faucets with side sprayers, with what I believe are similar problems. One I bought new at my house, and was handed it in a box when I went to...
6
6

Garden hoses
Bought one of these kink free 35' hoses from Sears, I hate it. Darn thing won't lay flat since I coil on a hose hanger. Wish I would have bought a 3/4" instead of the 5/8", but they didn't have it...
16
16

advice on flood damage prevention
Hi, I have some crawlspace vents near the base of the house that are 16x9. I am getting sandbags and plastic ready in case, but I read that cutting plywood boards to place up against the brick, and...
7
7