Subject Author Posted Replies

Security lights, revisited
A while back I posted asking for recommendations for security lights. I did that because the reflectors on my Heath-Zenith lights were badly rusted and I was thinking of replacing the lights rather...
20
20

Roller cleaner cleaner
I have two of those rollers that look like a paint roller that have the sticky surfaces. I use them to clean my pool table. I have difficulty getting them clean. I use dish soap, and it makes them...
6
6

how to fix pictured loose door handle
Greetings everyone, Maybe this is an easy one, but I want to fix the loose handle on the back door of my house. There's a lot of play, maybe about 3/4's of an inch so I'm guessing there's a missing...
4
4

Measuring tape with a lock that lasts
I have a couple of measuring tapes with broken locks, and I have the impression the lock often stops working quickly. Is there a measuring tape with a lock that really lasts? I got a Komelon tape that...
6
6

Do cable companies overlap?
I switched from Charter to ATT because of the bandwidth cap Charter started enforcing. I called Comcast and found out that they service my city, but not my area. Is that usually how it works? One...
16
16

tips needed to painting baseboard next to carpeting
subject line says it all... pull 'em off, sand, and paint would seem to be the best..
7
7

Home Center Storage Cabinets: How they get you.
I bought a 48" ClosetMaid wardrobe cabinet at Home Depot this weekend. 's how they get you...or at least how they got me: At $108 the price was very comfortable. I read the description and looked at...
3
3

OT - Air vid of the wave that hit Japan
Sorry for OT, but this is by far the best vid of the tidal wave that hit Japan. So sadly impressive.
4
4

Sump pumps, storm drain, french drains and flooding
I've been consulting with a neighbor about upgrading his sump pump system after a nasty failure. We've already replaced the existing pump that sits in a sump at the foot of the basement steps, outside...
32
32

Moulding/Trim Question
I have white trim throughout my home. My kitchen cabinets are called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. I will be replacing them with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet. I am at a loss as to...
15
15

A couple of electrical queries
Hello all, Hope someone can shed some lights on the following: 1. I ran a #14 for under-cabinet lights/strips. The lights will be switched on/off from a wall switch. Do I need a metal J-box and BX...
4
4

Feeding solar power back into municipal grid: Issues and finger-pointing
We have a residential energy program here in Ontario (Canada) that I really don't agree with (called the Micro-Fit program) where the electricity from roof-mounted solar panels is purchased by the...
178
178

The CLUNK (in ductwork) that just won't go away ...
This is just a shot in the dark. The problem (described below) persists. I had removed the register, added new rope caulk to seal around perimeter, and replaced register. And it worked: the CLUNK went...
10
10

Sunken driveway
My mother's house is 55 yrs. old. Her driveway has sunken and I am wondering why. Maybe it is the water supply from the city ? As in the void from the water supply ?
5
5

Wood doors repair
I belong to a little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, built in 1954, detached frame garage. Wood doors are all of wood segments commonly joined by woodwork that looks something like...
3
3