Subject Author Posted Replies

Gate latch design thats immune to frost heave?
Is there any kind of fence gate latch design that is immune to frost heave? Maybe something where the latch grabs a vertical rod that can move up/down every season and the latch still works? It's...
11
11

electric wire short on my Lawnmower
The wire that leads to the switch on my lawn mower seems to have a short. I press the start switch and nothing happens. I grab that wire that leads to it and then press the switch and it starts. I am...
25
25

OT: Voltage Converter for France
My daughter is going to France as part of an HS school exchange program. Here's what I know: Her camera has a charger that can be used abroad without a voltage converter, just a plug adapter. Per the...
30
30

Tool Handle rubber coating
I have a few questions about that rubber stuff that you dip your tool handles in. Does it work? Is it worth the cost and effort? What have you coated with it? What would you coat with it if it works?...
1
1

Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80
A continuation of the "Why does the 115V->24V transformer keep blowing on my Trane XB80?" discussion I started on 04/02/2011. Yep, My A/C unit blew another transformer. Pictures (and wiring diagram)...
244
244

How to find local handyman?
I have a few projects in mind for the backyard like a covered sandbox, a small playhouse/clubhouse, and a 3-4 hole miniature golf course. How would I go about finding a local handyman who would be...
6
6

OT. Japanese"nukes"
"chaniarts" wrote in Until I started research man-made seismiscity, I had no idea about how much dams can affect the surrounding areas. It's a massive weight and the pressure of the water forces it...
25
25

patio tile
A couple of weeks ago, I started a post whose Subject: is Patio Tile A responder said that the proposed tiles would become a maintenance nightmare so I sent this e-mail to: "You claim that the...

Should metal chimney liners be grounded against lightning strikes?
I was at a home today which a while back had a lightning strike the chimney and explode the top of the chimney off. On the drive home I got to thinking, I have two metal chimney liners, one for a...
23
23

"Grass USA" Drawer Slides??
Hi all, Hoping that someone can help, and tell me the part number for a "Grass USA" drawer slide, that I need a replacement for. The front wheel on mine broke off last night, and I am having a hard...
6
6

Simple plumbing fixture question
Out of curiosity (not related to actually doing any plumbing): I came across a 1.5" diameter, 6" long metal "extension tube" in the plumbing section today, next to the brass sink tailpieces/couplers/...
4
4

Portable Generator - Electrical Hazard Protection
My daughter is a horse person and is very successful in endurance racing. She uses an excellent 3-stall horse trailer that has some sleeping space to transport to races. She has a shower in one of the...
11
11

Crooked ATT Celular
I noticed since changing to ATT celular family plan my units were disapearing faster than I used them. My call pack is 500 units so I have to be carefull. I checked my online actual call times at ATT...
20
20

OT: Stiglitz on nukes.
Nobel economist Joseph Stiglitz, who -- with Paul Krugman -- is among the few voices of sanity in this corporate-owned brothel called the U.S. economy, has published a trenchant article on this...
8
8

Raised well pump cutoff from 45 to 50 PSI, pump dead in 24 hr.
Yesterday morning I was fixing a leak in a shower drain in a rental home. The tenants complained of low water pressure at the shower heads. A check of the well system determined that the cut-in...
6
6