Subject Author Posted Replies

Stabbed In The Gut
The other night when I was cooking something, a lot of hot grease got accidentally spilled down into the oven. I didn't think much about it (such things happen), but whn I went to cook a few steaks...
17
17

welding a mower deck
discovered one of the supports for the john deere mower deck is torn. any problems with having it welded? thanks much
19
19

Electrical/Electronic Fuse Spec's
I need an education in fuse sizes. I want to put a fuse ahead of a 120vac transformer putting out 6 or 12vdc to a component rated at 15 amps. At the store, I was going to buy a 120v 15 amp fuse, but...
5
5

hedge clipper failing
On anything but the thinnest twigs, the old hedge clipper will bind and I'll hear that loud squealing noise. I took it apart and inside there is a rotating wheel with sort of splines on it, which is...
2
2

Window sills need to be wiped off?
Just had good nabe painter redo my West-facing (strong sun) wooden window sills, only 2-3 years after he did all those windows w/Benjamin Moore acrylic (over primer). They had cracked and split and...
14
14

RE-roofing garage
My garage (in Toronto) is separate from the house. I had the house roof do= ne about 9 years ago with an architectural shingle and there were 7 package= s of it left over. The roofer left them with me...
7
7

PVC Jandy valve -- weak screw
I've hundreds of Helicoils in auto repairs. They are all stainless steel. Never saw any corroded ones. Some marine manufacturers (Volvo, IIRC) use them for new products that will be used in salt water...
2
2

Couldn't fix the faucet, so I replaced it.
There's no real point to this post, unless folks want to discuss what the problem might have been... Up until last night, I had this faucet in my kitchen: few months ago we noticed that there was...
5
5

bending nails
How do I prevent finish nails from bending when I hammer then nails through pre-drilled holes in quarter-round oak molding into drywall? (I'm not using a brad-nailer).
22
22

soaked drywall ceiling in closet
The air handler tray in my attic overflowed, and by the time I realized what was happening it had soaked the ceiling in a closet below it. (I had been hearing an ominous dripping for several days...
3
3

Security Light Mounting Problem
Hello, Hope I can explain this fairly clearly. Have the typical round flood light security-light to illuminate my driveway. It has the round flange mounting, and meshes with the round electrical box...
3
3

Marking Pressure Treated Lumber?
Pencil sometimes works, sometimes not so much. Maybe it's the wetness of the lumber; I dunno. Laying down tape first is too much bother. Permanent marker is a little too conspicuous, and often a...
7
7

Dryer Paint
Noticed paint failure on the inside door of a functioning gas dryer. Any suggestions regarding the type of spray paint to use for repair?
5
5

Does a well pressure switch need to be on the tank?
I have always seen pressure switches for well pumps mounted on the pressure tank. I just visited a friend who bought an old farm. The place needs some work, but it's not too bad for what he paid....
9
9

Maytag Performa Washing Machine - PUMP??
We have a Maytag Performa washing machine model PAV2300AWW revision 12 s/n 12566485YU. It sounds like the pump is going/gone. When draining it rattles/knocks like an engine with a bad rod bearing....
3
3