Subject Author Posted Replies

type of chalking needed ?
I noticed this the other day when the oil boiler was running. Looks like it needs re-chalking - (the exhaust pipe from the oil burner to the chimney area) The previous owners were the ones that did it...
7
7

How To Repair Crumbling Cinder Block?
How can I fix the problem shown in the following pictures: crumbling cinder block is right next to the side door of a garage. Some of the door frame can be seen inside the hole but there is also some...
13
13

steel plate to reinforce joist
Here's a joist under my bathtub that needs to be strengthened: Picture at 'm planning to attach a steel plate to the front side of this joist, and a 2x10 to the back side. The plumber said he can make...
10
10

new shower glass door installed- company put on a special coating on glass
I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will prevent scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass...
10
10

Repairing patio furniture
We have some cedar furniture in need of repair. Don't know the technical term, but it's like tongue & groove. The seat slats are the tongue, and go into a groove of a board, which the board is then...
10
10

Concrete tents - easy to build they say.
Hope this isn't ot - these could be used for a garage, shop, chicken house, etc. Bob-tx all that glitters is not plastic - read below LONDON (AlertNet) - Two British engineers have scooped a global...
24
24

Where have all the powers gone?
Where have all the powers gone, long time passing? A somewhat interesting story. No advice needed, but I'll bet it's forthcoming. :) I always turn most of my radios on with the sleep switch, including...
1
1

metal yard shed recommendations?
As some of you may have heard, SW MI had a little storm a couple of weeks ago. My back yard is a lot sunnier now, with 4 big trees down, and another that will probably have to come down. Anyway, a...
21
21

Swimming Pool Phosphate Remover Cost Comparison
Does that mean if you kept the chlorine at lower levels than normal you wound up with noticeable water problems? Not that I disagree with you, just curious. I'm skeptical about the science behind it....
9
9

brighter 3-way CFL?
I remember having a thread on these maybe a year or so ago and I thought someone had posted a link to a product that was brighter than the GE "150W equivalent" one, but now I can't find it (either the...
14
14

Why use a level when building something?
I dont understand the point in using a level when someone is building something. That level may show that the floor, wall, or roof is completely level right now, but in an hour or day from now, it...
33
33

Siding sitting on ground - help!
I recently bought a somewhat older home. The exterior of the house is aluminum siding and brick. On 2 sides of the house, the siding is touching the dirt, which I know is a no-no. I've already pulled...
13
13

gfi outlets in galley kitchen
I am getting to the end of a kitchen reno. This is a galley style kitchen. On one side of the kitchen is the sink, where I will put GFI outlets. On the opposite wall there is just cabinets with...
15
15

Concrete tamper
I bought a two handed concrete tamper at a yard sale yesterday, probably spending too much for it ............ $10. But I needed one. On the bottom screen, it's reasonably clean, but has some residual...
11
11

What is journaling, if anything???
I posted to an English ng, but their answer was writing in a journal. Now I think I'm thinking about some machining process, journaling??? Related to bearings??? What am I thinking of?
11
11