Subject Author Posted Replies

Air conditioner enclosure
I have a 3-ton air conditioner unit at the side of my house. Is there an enclosure or screen that will keep leaves, twigs, sprinkler water, etc from getting into the unit year-around (not just...
15
15

Rough estimate on overall cost of 100 sq ft shed versus having one delivered
I've never built a structure in my life - but - I am considering building a small shed in the back yard. Both my friends who have sheds told me it's not worth building your own shed; just have one...
14
14

Steel shed ventilation
We have a sheet steel garden shed, and with any sun at all it gets unbearably hot inside. We put up polystryene slabs under the roof, but that was to stop the condensation dripping down inside in the...
10
10

2 knob or 3? wiring?
my home is like 70 or even more years old (not sure really). I want to know if i should upgrad the wiring. the electrical panel shows i have 100 amp. I have been told if i have knob 2 wiring then i...
66
66

OT Can't eat road kill in Penn. Why?
OT The law in Pa. prohibits people who kill deer form t aking it home and eating it? Why is that? I'm guessing its' because too many people were finding deer and eating it when it was no longer safe...
7
7

Water Heater Efficiency
The 50 gal tank in my water heater is leaking and I'd like to select a conventional gas replacement that minimizes my up front costs plus operating costs over the next 10 years. I see that Rheem has...
8
8

quick tornado shelter
For the storm cellarless Cut a section of sturdy plywood that fits over the edge of the bathtub. drill holes in it and secure a handle or rope to hold onto. This is easy and would be better than a...
34
34

AC evaporator ices up in Dallas area.
De-iced three times so far today but it keeps freezing up after running a while. Filter and fins are clean. I can see the water running. The fan motor sounds good when running and cold air blows...
1
1

Why a newsreader?
Straight question. What is the purpose of paying for a newsreader? Is it to access news groups? For that purpose, is Google really so awful? Esp, for people who visit only a few NGs? (Note: I had one...
29
29

Power mechanism for porch rocker
Has anyone ever seen a mechanism that can be attached to a porch rocker so it will rock me to sleep? I am thinking of the rockers made for babies that automatically rock the kid till they fall asleep....
3
3

Duplex Tank Bushing
Ok on the three way and the 4 way bushings, Why would one be used over the other? R

Stripping a wood deck
Spent much of the day stripping my wood deck. If it matters, it had several layers of Thompson's WaterSeal Honey Gold Deck and House Waterproofing Stain. Time to strip off the old stain was long...
1
1

New sod question
Should I keep my new sod wet by long soakings (45 min), or several shorter more frequent ones (15 min)? Steve
3
3

Extra sod
I have a bit of extra sod, and it will be a few days until I can find a place for it. I have some moving blankets on it, and have the sprinklers running, getting it wet several times a day. Is this...
5
5

New (house) heating system... is this a good/great deal?
I get an unsolicited call around a month ago and it's a woman who says they are with a program that might install a heater in my house (Berkeley, CA). She didn't say that exactly, but that's where the...
41
41