Subject Author Posted Replies

Can I paint stainless steel?
I have a tripple wall chimney of stainless steel that I would like to color black. Can I paint stainless steel with high temp Rustoleum, or should I wrap it with galvanized or aluinium and paint that?...
24
24

I hung a door!
It was a shed, it was crude, but it's a good as the pro who did it before me. w00t! Accomplishment! ;) nb
19
19

Low water cutoff switch for water well pump. Experience with brands?
Apparently I have the choice of two popular makes of low water pump cut off switches, the Franklin "Pumptec - Plus" and the Symcom "PumpSaver Plus". I have no experience with either and haven't been...
3
3

Good phillips driver bit
I've asked before and got no good answer. Doesn't ANYBODY make a good quality hardened phillips driver bit for power drivers for screwing phillips head deck, etc, screws? These pieces of crap they...
64
64

Another OT, but a good one
If this doesn't warm the cockles of your heart, both young and old, then you must have mighty cold cockles. Buzz Aldrin - moon walking astronaut can only take so much crap.
8
8

Armor All
Have come to learn that a preferred product of mine, Armor All Waterproofing Wood Protector, has been discontinued. Might someone be able to recommend a replacement? Ideally the exact same product but...
4
4

Puzzling Toilet Problem
Odd toilet leak problem here for anyone who wants to take a shot at a hard to diagnose condition. Symptom: Toilet tank leaks into bowl, causing very frequent (every 15 minutes or so) top ups of the...
13
13

spiderman
What is the stickiest thing you can come up with without becoming something other than water-based?
3
3

Step one of restoring storm damage from Memorial day weekend
Some of you may recall my tale of woe about the storm here six weeks or so ago, and how my already-wrinkled-from-a-previous-storm shed got crushed, and me commenting from time to time that there are...
12
12

Painting secrets
I just know somebody from an initials-only organization is going to come a disappear me for revealing these gems. But a Popular Mechanics article promotes the following: * Sanding * Tinted primer *...
16
16

adhesive for wall tile in a shower
I'm hanging 3 x 6 x 1/4" tile in a half shower. I've got durock on the bottom foot and treated sheetrock on everything above. So I can tile the bottom of it conventionally, and would expect to use...
43
43

cutler hammer 200 amp breaker
From the meter to the top of the 200amp disconnect at the pole I have 240 v...in the home at the top of the main breaker I get 240v...only w/ the breaker off...when I turn the breaker on for the whole...
20
20

BernzOmatic TS4000 trigger start torch
I got one. It stopped igniting. I can no longer hear the pezioelectric spark thingy clicking. I just read the wiki page and they have this to say: "Lighters with piezo-electric ignition typically do...
5
5

Venting Attics for Heat Control, or Not?
I won a house in Tucson, AZ with a crawlspace attic. I had always thought the attic should be vented, so that the heated air from the day's sun would get out fast, and I wouldn't have a pocket of ~150...
21
21

What to do with CFLs?
Mail 'em to your Congresscritter. after Senator Daschel's brush with Anthrax, I think it's probably against some federal law to be mailing hazardous stuff to a federal official.
2
2