Subject Author Posted Replies

Somewhat OT (I think) Electrical question
Though, this isn't specifically about "Home Repair" it is an item in the home. I made a project for the wife which required the use of a sewing machine motor (but not the sewing machine) which has the...
14
14

Does air compressor make good tire inflator?
I have an electric tire inflator that looks similar to this (perhaps an older model): don't like the tire chuck -- I have to flip a lever to compress the rubber washer to seal around the valve stem....
29
29

Sump Pump w/o Tile Connection?
I have a basement that floods in one corner after heavy, extended rain (every 2-3 years). Current theory is hydrostatic pressure pushing water (vapor?) through concrete. Will a sump pump help? The...
7
7

Wierd problem with draft vent of water heater.
I have a 6 month old Sears (AO Smith) 50 Gal gas water heater. While in my basement the other day, I noticed the plastic red " HOT" and blue "COLD" rings around the heat trap nipples were melted...
21
21

broken turn off valve on toilet
------------------------------------- Help. I have purchased two turn off valves to replace a broken one and neither work! The water feed will not come through although the water is turned and there...
7
7

Best wood choice for interior threshold
I have tile flooring and laminate wood flooring that I need to "join" at the door threshold. What is a fairly durable wood to use? I need to be able to stain and shape without having to purchase...
4
4

Rid X For Septic Systems ?
Hello, Had our septic system pumped out, and the guy suggested using Rid X, periodically. Any opinions on ? Any negatives or caveats to its use ? How often (he didn't say)? Thoughts on would be most...
10
10

'Nother couple to chear y'all up. :-)
More funny goings on. ?v=KOyQBSMeIhM?v=6p1Xf_IVbEc

OT Something to cheer y'all up.
Just thought I'd introduce y'all to this to cheer you up in these strange times we now live in. from a place not far from where I was born. There are lots of strange things in the UK..
5
5

OT AA+
I see you have been downgraded into a "bit dodgy" as debtors. It beats me why anyone takes notice of these credit rating agencies anyway. Them getting it wrong (about mortgages) was a major cause of...
3
3

Sanding a floor
I had a carpenter tell me he was going to sand my floor. He wanted $1250 to do it. I did it myself for $120 and two hours work. I just had a load of sand dumped outside my rear door, and with the help...
1
1

Why Gutter Guards will cost you less than Gutter Cleaning
Why Gutter Guards will cost you less than Gutter Cleaning Homeowners that have trees have a constant battle with overflowing gutters that cause most of their moisture problems. Either you clean out...

I have a few bids and I have decided who I want to use
How do I find out if they do good work? I found him by looking handymen in the local shopper. The guy I have been talking to is very knowledgeable, but I know he is not the one that is going to do the...
8
8

floor tile shrinkage repair
The basement floor of my 50-year old house was covered with asphalt tile about 45 years ago. It has been covered with carpeting most of the last 40 years. A recent power outage and torrential downpour...
4
4

Heavy-duty metal shelving ~48 x ~80 x 24: costco vs home depot?
Tomorrow I go buy some heavy-duty shelving (for the garage). Costco has what looks to be pretty substantial stuff -- 48 wide left-right, 2'deep shelves, whole thing maybe 75 or 80 inches high....
6
6