Subject Author Posted Replies

drill attachment
I have some wooden banister rods, the ends of which I want to grind down to a half sphere. Is there an attachment for a power drill which will give me a half sphere? What is this tool called and where...
17
17

OT: Republican Liberty Caucus
Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus! At: will find a list of objections to renewing the hysterically- generated Patriot Act (which President Wuss has apparently decided to continue). Any...
14
14

Touch-up basement walls
I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest US, built in 1954, poured-concrete foundation. There were some minor problems with water in the basement many years ago. With a sump pump installed,...
3
3

HF single speed -or- variable speed multi-tool?
Any thoughts on which to buy? I got the single speed - 20K oscillations -- last week for $20 and added $20 in accessories. This week, the variable speed version is $40 with about those same $20 in...
3
3

Help: Sun, furniture, and marital discord!
We have a nice Wells Fargo desk which fades in the sun. Our scientist friend has said that after 5 PM, infrared rays are not strong. So I raised the shade to the west at 6 PM. My wife argues that, if...
1
1

OT: James Hansen on oil shale
Hansen, NASA's leading climate scientist, laid out the scenario for global warming before Congress thirty years ago. Big Oil and other major polluters pressured Congress and successive Administrations...
13
13

Anchoring an existing shed to a concrete slab
I've got an existing 10'x12' shed sitting on a 4" thick slab of slightly larger dimensions. I'd like to anchor the shed to the slab without moving or raising the shed. The shed sits on several columns...
9
9

Best glue for bonding plastic to plastic?
Hi, Our daughter has this little doll wheel chair that the leg broke off of. The leg has a wheel and it is a pretty big piece that broke off but it fits very tightly when I put it together where it...
35
35

Irene damage
There was a lot of speculation about the hype of this hurricane. I live in downstate NY thirty miles from the long Island sound, so I had no concern about storm surges. It was windy the night before...
23
23

[SOLVED] Window Film Removal
Several years ago we put the window film on our windows to help block the sunlight. It gradually faded out and has gotten scratched in several places. Today we started trying to take it off using a...
14
14

OT your landscape
Sorry for another OT. Maybe this NG ought to be renamed the 'OT' NG. Anyway, here is a humorous piece giving us a different perspective on how we landscape/ Bob-tx God said: "Frank, you know all about...
1
1

Voltage question about European Transformer
I bought an external modem. It came with a European transformer to plug into outlet. There are some real odd round plugs on it. It reads INPUT: 230V ~50HZ 140MA OUTPUT: 12V 1A It came with an adaptor...
14
14

high velocity fan blade not balanced?
I bought a high velocity floor fan with metal blades (model 9220). On the fastest setting, the fan vibrates slightly, but it has rubber bushing between the fan and the feet, so the vibration is...
7
7

Fluid dynamics of the men's room
Leaving off the OT, since this is plainly serious science of concern to a.h.r. Dear Cecil: I conducted due diligence at your Web site, but found no reference to a delicate but vital question that has...
8
8

OT: Groupon offer - Car Tires
Amigos, have you any experience with/opinion about, the following tire brands that I never heard of. They are featured on a GroupOn 60% off deal ($40 toward $100/tire). This would be for a '99 Nissan...
8
8