Subject Author Posted Replies

One man bands
Here's some pictures of projects I did around my house. I did all but the back patio awning by myself. the container, I will lift the deck sheets with a custom made basket lifted with the hoist shown,...
2
2

next door plumbing vents
My next door -- townhouse -- neighbor and I had our roofs replaced by the same guy at the same time, about 6 years ago. She called a guy to clean her gutters and he said he found that the black rubber...
9
9

Effect Of Short Power Outages On Home Generator (Kohler RES12)
The day that Irene came thru, I didn't lose grid power as such, but did have a series of outages that lasted 2-3 seconds apiece. Unfortunately, these were enough to kick on the generator, only to stop...
16
16

wood window, alum track
Hello, I have several wood windows that need replacement parts. The aluminum tracks on the sides and the aluminum strip along the base and side to stop air infiltration. They are about 40 years old. I...
10
10

Ceiling fan/light wiring options
From an earlier post, I have a top floor (second floor) apartment where the ceilings in the living room, 2 bedrooms, and a small hallway have now been removed. This was after the last tenant moved out...
14
14

I have heard of trashing your house,...
Here is a house made from a dumpster:
3
3

Using diesel fiel in your homes oil burner/boiler
I have seen many posts agreeing that the two are pretty much interchangeable. Yet most people replied that diesel is either a tad more expensive but in most areas almost the same exact price, except...
35
35

Ouch. Outside Amana central air conditioning unit. Compressor. $4000?
I need our advice about my air conditioning unit in northern California. After a power outage, the compressor in a small outside Amana central air conditioning unit (circa 2001) wouldn't turn on. I...
55
55

OT: Gas mix in outboard incorrect, not enough oil?, how long to ruin the engine?
Vacation, rented "cottage" with rented pontoon. Return of the security deposits quite late....now the story is "not returning the deposit 'cause you trashed the outboard". It was a 20-something foot...
30
30

Condensation inside storm windows in summer, but ...
It happens when it's extra humid outside. It's in one room only. Both the inside of the storm windows and the outside of the house windows fog up. The windows have an air conditioning register below...
2
2

(OT) How do DVRs work?
It seems that as I get older the less I can keep up with technology. Or maybe its because the stuff is changing to damn fast. Anyhow, I recall it was not all that long ago when everyone was buying...
59
59

X10 with ungrounded Shop Light...Bad idea?
I am trying to control an el-cheapo 2 bulb 4' florescent Shop Light with an MS16A Motion Sensor and an RR501 Transceiver. The shop light has a 3 prong plug, but the Transceiver only has a 2 prong...
14
14

Lowes selling solar collectors
Akeena Solar is selling a plug in grid tie solar collector aimed at do it yourselfers. Just plug them in any 120f receptacle and aim them at the sun.
41
41

OT Mega windfarm power question
I was driving down I65 this weekend and went through about a 10 mile stretch of wind farm in Indiana. And I was wondering how they got all that power back on the grid. Each one of those windmills has...
7
7

What parts of a pool motor need replacement?
My pool motor is making noise. Googling, I find the following parts "seem" to be in need of replacing: - Shaft seal - Bearings (two) for the motor - O-ring (for the pump) Anything else normally...
28
28