Subject Author Posted Replies

OT -- work bench light for van
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:j7g08d$tr$ During the last long time power outage I remembered we had an old propane lantern for camping. Coleman makes them. You have to carefully wrap a strangely...
20
20

OT: College is a rip off
Students getting out of college today are facing a pretty bleak future and massive debt as universities raise prices at a rate faster than inflation and any other "service" in our economy. I feel...
112
112

Home many screws to hold a Hoover Vacuum together? (43)
Just spent an hour dismantling an older (~2000) Hoover vacuum, bagless upright type. Removed 43 screws to get it into small enough pieces to put into garbage pail and recycle bin. Kept the actual...
15
15

Vinyl Fence Panel Mounting?
I am preparing to install a vinyl panel fence for a friend and have noticed that the panel mounting brackets seem to make later removal of the 6ftx6ft panel either difficult or impossible. Who designs...
9
9

air compressor oil
My small air compressor got knocked over and the oil in it leaked out. Do i need a special type of oil to refill it? thanks, cj
5
5

duct cleaning
My wife is insisting that we have our ducts cleaned and I am curious as to how this is done. Do the workers snake brushes through the duct work to loosen dust/gunk? How is the debris removed? The...
5
5

tarry goo in bottom of air conditioner housing?
Hi all, still helping a friend get his house in shape... cleaned the A-coil today. Lots of crap came out! Anyway, the housing above the furnace for the indoor portion of the AC looks like it had about...
4
4

OT You want fries with that?
's Cashier Caught on Cell Phone Video Beating Unruly Customers Read more:
9
9

Woodpeckers
I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on the house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the siding.
14
14

Ill. man killed trying to steal power lines
Finally, a headline writer with some guts/balls. No namby-pamby use of the word "allegedly" here. Although the story itself does not say that the man died while trying to steal the power lines - which...
27
27

How do you know if you are dealing with a load-bearing wall?
And even if it is not a load bearing wall, should you still "prop up" the ceiling thereabouts before working on replacing it? Wife and I are considering replacing the wall between the kitchen and...
7
7

skylight covers
We have skylights on the roof of our office building and we like to install covers that can block 100% of the sunlight. Each skylight is 100" x 26" x 2" measured around the edges, and there is a 1"...
3
3

barn paint on concrete
Anyone know if plain old white barn paint will adhere (and stay adhered for a few years) to bare concrete without any kind of priming? I just sealed a couple of my exterior-facing basement walls...
12
12

moving gas dryer
I want to clean out the vent in my gas dryer. To really do that well, I have to move it away from the wall. To do _that_, sounds like I need to disconnect the gas line, and then reconnect when done....
20
20

How to build a Made In America home
and the products used: Product Manufacturer/Supplier State Windows Amsco Windows UT J bolts/foundation S.C. Prototypes MT J bolts/foundation/stock Pacific Steel UT Gorilla Duct tape The Gorilla Glue...
2
2