Subject Author Posted Replies

The great ethanol scam continues
harvest: The American corn ethanol disaster "Perhaps the most devastating effect of the ethanol industry is the destruction of the small engine. An in depth analysis shows that when a gasohol mixture...
41
41

Another job for the HF multifunction tool
I had some wooden sash windows with the glazing falling out in spots. Some glazing came out easily but the rest was rock solid. Trying to chip out the solid stuff resulted in a couple of cracked...
5
5

"fiber substrate" lap siding
I'm looking at LP's 'Smartside' lap siding, to replace some water-damaged clapboards. LP has an OSB type, but the 'simulated rough-sawn finish' (I think that's what they're trying for) doesn't match....
2
2

Early Christmas Shopping completed
I said I would not wait till the day before Christmas this year to shop. So, I finished all my shopping this week. I got The Clapper, Orange Glo, Time Life's Greatest Hits, two Ginsu Knife sets, three...
6
6

Selected content from the November 2011 issue of Residential Lighting magazine
Selected content from the November 2011 issue of Residential Lighting magazine (if you're going to reply to this post, don't be a bone-head full-quoter. Trim any quoted material appropriately)...

surveillance
Many homeowners are now wanting surveillance equipment, so I want to work up a capability to install them. Does anyone here have experience with installing them and managing the data they collect? In...
13
13

Thanks to all the "are all roofers ripoffs" posters
It wasn't a very good subject line, obviously some are and some aren't, like everyone else. But I learned a great about roofing from you folks and have a much better idea what to look for. That's why...

LED bulbs keep failing
I have a three light fixture in my bathroom that went from incandescent to CFL then to LEDs that I bought at Lowes (pretty good price even though they are still too expensive) Problem is that they...
16
16

Sweating Pressure Tank - Solutions?
OK, Summer's over and the humidity is down. I have copper pipes in the basement and (before I wrapped them all with that black foam insulation stuff) they would sweat because the well waer was so...
10
10

WEll & Pump System: Where to put the Filter?
I want to add a sediment filter to my system. Bought one at Lowes. Now, question is, do I install it BEFORE or AFTER the pressure tank?
5
5

Building drainage issues
My building's area has seen particularly heavy rains last 2 days, and some water ingressed the building drom the side (not through the roof). The reason is that water level outside was too high. There...
19
19

OT Wells Fargo sucks again.
I had message on my answering machine.............This is Wells Fargo calling about some suspicious activity on your card. Please call us at 800-446-0664. I went online and checked my card and there...
10
10

Vinyl tile source?
I want to cover a portion of my shop (woodworking section) in vinyl tile. = I have tried epoxy coatings and other materials in other parts, but for thi= s application I want vinyl tiles. Went to HD...
7
7

Suggestions for sanding 6" square parquet flooring
Hello All, I want to refinish a room with 6" square solid parquet wood tiles. Not sure if a drum or orbital would be best to use. The grain on each tile is turned 90 degrees. The floor is in pretty...
3
3

TIP: 2.2 million without power, in the northeast
We had four MILLION people without power when Hurricane Yikes hit three years ago, some as long as two weeks. The ghastly thing was that gas stations were ALSO without power, so there was no way to...
12
12