Subject Author Posted Replies

Repairing plastic ashtray
A friend has a favorite ashtray that's cracking apart. It's a plastic with a smooth hard surface but a granular texture at the cracks, possibly Bakelite or Melmac. No manufacturer's name. Purchased at...
21
21

OT: US Based Cell Phone Use In UK - Will this phone work?
My daughter going to London for 6 months. A friend who is going with her went to a Best Buy in another state and bought this set up: A $20 AT&T GoPhone (U2800A) An H20 SIM Starter Kit with free...
10
10

How to check for space *before* denting hood?
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it will hit the hood when it's lowered. How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big? I tried wadded up...
20
20

external masonry/stone sealant?
Not a home, a commercial property. Looking into this for a bud of mine. Stone front, perhaps in need of some pointing. It will get some pointing, but, the stone itself looks to have a clear coat...
3
3

New Years Eve compliance struggles at Home Depot, Walmart, Dollar General, Sears, and millions of other stores
AP News January 1, 2012 11:29am EST. While everyone else was watching the ball drop in Times Square, drinking, and partying, employees at Home Depot, Walmart, Dollar General, Sears, and millions of...
21
21

GE 'Bright From The Start' hybrid light bulbs
just installed two of these in a clothes closet and couldn't be happier with the results. They come on instantly like a standard incandescent yet have the energy efficiency of a CFL.
32
32

Leaking 2013 AA Energizer Battery
Happened to try a seldom-used tv remote control last night, dead. opened it up, one 2013 AA Energizer battery was fine, the other was dead and leaking. I stupidly thought that the date on batterries...
32
32

Furnace filter doesn't filter?
Due to allergy I installed a filter cabinet and a merv 12 4-inch filter in my furnace. I thought I'd be getting very clean air. To verify, I cover two floor registers with furnace filters. After a few...
9
9

May leave Xmas lights up all year
I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant see the lights from the front of the house but they light...
9
9

Cutting off the top edge of a car battery?
What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw, eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ?? And is...
21
21

Power supply to heating thermostats. Commercial building.
I have a commercial building with about five thermostats for heating. They are of the non-smart variety, maintaining the same temperature regardless of time of day, with only a pair of 24v contacts...
24
24

Happy New Year!
I started hearing semiautomatic gunfire about 6:30pm. I haven't heard any bullets land on the roof or vehicles yet. Years back when I had a warehouse downtown, I found a number of 7.62 and 5.56...
33
33

Whirlpool stove
We have a 2 year old Whirlpool Gold double oven stove, that has some issues. 1st issue. when we want to use the oven, we set the oven to pre-heat at 350, in about 5 minutes, the oven beeps, saying...
8
8

Garbage disposal lubrication
The garbage disposal in my kitchen was here when I bought the house several years ago. I have no idea how old it is. I have no problem with its operation -- stuff gets chopped up and disappears down...
24
24

WTB - Sheet metal shears
Hand held, DeWalt style DW890. Looks like a drill with a pair of scissors sticking out of be #DW892, which cuts thicker, and has a swivel head. Must be operational and in decent shape. Can be...
1
1