Subject Author Posted Replies

Question regarding plumbing
We live at the peak of a small mountain. We replaced our well water with city water about 9 years ago. City water was overall fine for first few years, low pressure at first, due to our altitude, but...
36
36

Asbestos
Why is it even legal to sell a home with asbestos that needs to be removed? (I understand that not all asbestos has to be removed if it is sealed and not disturbed.)
17
17

Holmes Inspection
While I've read comments in this newsgroup critical of Mike Holmes, I do think I'm learning about construction from watching his shows. Does anyone here have any inside information on Holmes? The show...
6
6

Looking for high temperature fabric
Several years ago, I bought some of these kitchen stovetop protectors. are made from some type of thin fiberglass-like material with a silver coating. They are thin and work very well, despite some of...
4
4

Homeownership rates fall to 66% in US as downturn nears a bottom
Canadian census data indicates that Canadian home ownership was 68.4% in 2006 - an all time high. I haven't been able to find home ownership rates for subsequent years - but the forclosure and...
4
4

Bread Machine recommendation. Want one NOT made in China.
I have four bread machines, and they are all candidates for the trash can. One has motor problems, three have bread pans that don't last (the shaft seizes). None of them have lasted me a year. Not...
96
96

Anyone here upgraded their attic insulation?
Currently our home from the late 1960's has R18 insulation in the attic. Nowadays the standard for brand new homes, at least in Ontario Canada is R50. Was calling around for a couple of quotes to...
17
17

Replacing bath vanity
A leaky toilet resulted in some mold on the vanity and I have elected to build a replacement. I want to reuse the one-piece faux stone top/sink. But in order to remove the top, I need to remove a...
2
2

OT: Indiana becomes a Right To Work state
Fixed it. There's a reason that wages, benefits, and standards of living are all lower in right-to-work states.
24
24

Battery operated venetian blinds
Have three small windows about 24" x 24" and I am looking for battery operated remote control white faux wood venetian blinds. I want them to retract and drop remotely as the windows are high but have...
16
16

INSTAHANG = JUNK!!!
The instahang is JUNK. It is cheaply made, and DOES NOT WORK!!!! It looks so easy on the commercial--but don't be fooled like I was. It is a worthless product, and you end up paying approx $14 for...
5
5

OT Taxes ~ Hybrid Car Tax Credit
Anybody else have trouble with this? Cadillac, Mercedes, Porshe Only one normal car on there the Altima. What is the differnce between my 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and a Escalade Hybrid other than...
24
24

Terms: cement lime sand mortar grout thinset concrete
In another thread, I confused everyone by being wholly ignorant about the terms concrete vs cement vs mortar vs grout. So how's this first pass at clarifying: Cement --> aka "Portland cement" - it's...
3
3

Three-way to Two-way Switches
The light in the laundry room and the light on the back porch are both cont= rolled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you come = into the laundry room from the dining room and...
24
24

Follow-up and apology on OT Will search engines find my webpage?
I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot** that the ad they mailed me contained the password for the webpage, so IIUC that means even if google comes up with the webpage, it wlll still require a password,...
1
1