Subject Author Posted Replies

Speaking of Holmes.... blooper
On an episode I watched this weekend, the one with the cold bathroom and squirrels in the attic, he and the HVAC contractor made a booboo.. He examined a gas forced air furnace with a bypass type...
2
2

Water hammer
Howdy folks! When the toilet shuts off, I hear a fairly loud water = hammer now. Never had that happen before until recently and have not = had any plumbing work done. I did a little net research and...
23
23

cleaning kitchen grout between floor tiles
What is the easiest way to do this? After I clean it, is a sealer really worth while?

wood trim nailed into hardiplank
If I want to replace some rotted wood trim that was nailed into hardiplank, when I go to nail the new trim back in place, do I need to predrill the holes into the hardiplank assuming I don't renail...
2
2

Moen Shower Valve - When to Replace
Mine aren't that old but they are getting close and of the 6 in my house I've had to replace two of them. I thought they were lifetime guarantee so next time one goes I'm going to call Moen and see if...
10
10

glazing bow windows on 80 year old house... question about inside window
hi, I have recently relgazed a large bow window on my house. my house is appox 80 years old. my question is regarding the inside of the window. I am going to paint the inside of the window . Side...
10
10

Gas cooktop slowness
About 10 years ago I installed a natural gas 4 burner cooktop. It works fine except the biggest burner takes forever to heat 3 qts of water. I still have my old electric cooktop hooked up (in a free...
21
21

Hot Water Recirculating Pump
True or False? A hot water recirculating pump won't decrease the amount of time it takes to get hot water to a fixture, it will only eliminate the waste caused by the water running down the drain....
20
20

Spilled water on fresh grout - what to do?
I was applying grout when I spilled about a cup of water all over the freshly applied grout. I immediately applied paper towels, but what should I do?
7
7

OT: AT&T U-verse opinions
Most of us readers here have HD DVR and TV, I/Net and phones. I have at&t landline for my phone and DSL (extremely reliable), comcast for my HD DVR TV and paying separately is costing me $250+USD/mo....
45
45

Motor Run capacitor
The HVAC guy told my wife the motor run capacitor on my AC unit needed changing because it measured 4 instead of 5. He didn't say 4 or 5 what, I'm assuming uF. Does this really need to be replaced?...
36
36

Your helper better be old enough
" The Department of Labor has proposed new rules that would restrict children under the age of 16 from working on a farm or ranch. The list of tasks youth would not be allowed to do is astonishing to...
43
43

Does Anyone Make GRAY Illuminated Wall Switches?
I've spent some effort trying to find illuminated-off wall switches in gray. They would look good in a recently-repainted room. Looking on the internet and through the product catalogs of such...
7
7

Need to square a door
I have a door that has never been painted or sealed. After 30+ years it's sagging against the strike side of the jamb. My idea is to take it off the jamb and square it up, glue any loose joints, clamp...
8
8

Removing Aerator From Copper Faucet
Hi, I need to remove a clogged aerator from a copper clad faucet. The aerator has corroded onto the faucet. How do I remove the aerator without damaging it? The faucet is part of an expensive set....
8
8