Subject Author Posted Replies

Vinyl Siding - Furring Strips Only Or Is Sheathing Required?
I want to put vinyl siding on the back wall of a garage. The current siding is wood lap with 4" reveals. Can I use 16" OC furring strips only or do I need to sheath over the furring strips to provide...
8
8

Drain for Bathroom Sink
I'm a neophyte with plumbing, although I don't have a problem replacing faucets and the like. However, for some reason, I'm having a problem configuring drain pipes, of all things. When I replaced the...
10
10

wood shims to level refrigerator: so slide better, what paint?
Bought this new refrigerator. Installers couldn't crank the front up enough so that the door would swing closed; instead, wants to swing farther open. So, I got a package of shims, maybe 1/3 inch at...
16
16

Washing Machine Inlet Filters
Can anyone tell me where to find replacement inlet filters for a Whirlpool washing machine? Here's the valve with the filters visible inside. http://www.apwapplianceparts.com/Store_Part.aspx?Id=782617
1
1

Rubber belting, where to buy (USA), etc
Search results produce search results within search results. Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company. Also. How can...
8
8

Residential Boiler Replacement Questions
My parents are getting quotes to replace a 30 YO oil fired boiler that has a small "add-on" hot water tank. He is looking into getting a gas fired unit so that he can replace his very old electric...
11
11

How to Electrocute someone with a Toaster
This video shows how.... everyone will be doing it!!!!! Theory of a Deadman's music video for 'Bitch Came Back' from the album, The Truth Is... - available now on Roadrunner Records. Download the...
2
2

CLR Stain on Marble vanity top
Is the vanity top truly marble? or some other natural stone? or a man- made product? In any case, what you're seeing is the result of acid (CLR) etching the polished stone surface & thus damaging the...
10
10

Phillips wins "L(ight bulb) Prize"
"The U.S. government last year announced a $10 million award, dubbed the ?L Prize,? for any manufacturer that could create a ?green? but affordable light bulb... Now the winning bulb is on the market....
19
19

Round rubber pieces or pipe with ID of 22 mm?
Rubber, or any material similar to rubber. It will be pushed onto a standard 608 bearing, like a tire onto a wheel. Thickness must be at least 1/8 inch. A material like Delrin might be too hard but...
8
8

Which wire is which in 3-wire zip cord?
I bought a Sears workbench with a backwall. The backwall includes a fluorescent light that has no switch. Its cord is grounded zip cord. I'd like to splice into the hot wire a pull chain switch (with...
38
38

Smoke Detectors
I bought three new smoke detectors at Lowes and installed them. One was battery/AC, two were battery. Just after the warranty expired, all three failed. They beeped like the battery was bad. Replacing...
8
8

Intermittent leaks--is my home's plumbing haunted???
Every time I call a plumber to fix the leak in my shower, the leak seems to magically stop the day the plumber is scheduled to arrive. He looks at the plumbing, fails to find any leak, tells me...
12
12

work goggles
Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it if possible and have full eye protection. Yesterday when I was messing with the ceiling light fixture over the shower I was wearing...
20
20

I'll show you the door!!!
I'll show you the door!!! That's what the homeowner said to the carpenter who came to repair a door. The carpenter grabbed his toolbox and left! I guess those were the wrong words to use to show the...
1
1