Subject Author Posted Replies

sink drain size question?
I need to connect the drains on two sinks in a circa 1965 home and I've measured the existing drain pipe and the threads are 1 3/4" diameter. Not being a plumber I thought the standard was 1 1/4 or 1...
5
5

Delta Single lever kitchen faucet. spout "stiff" to swing.
Our Delta single lever kitchen sink faucet started dripping a little bit when shut off so I picked up a "full repair kit" and replaced the ball, seals and o-rings. The faucet now shuts off completely,...
12
12

DIY mower repair...
Good thinking!
1
1

Sewer pipe failing - suggestions?
I haven't read anything in the responses so far that addresses your primary concern -> a sewer backup into your house. So I will be the first one here to point out a device known as a "backflow...
71
71

Where do you get (pool) raw leaf netting material?
My pool skimmer is in good shape but the plastic netting is torn: went to three stores today looking for the raw netting to replace but none had any for sale (Lowes, Home Depot, and Leslies Pool...
1
1

Whirlpool Washer, trap/filter cap busted
Hi... Seems I have a while before any parts stores will be open, so I thought I'd ask on here... We have a 5-yr-old Whirlpool Duet, front-loading washer. A couple of weeks ago, as part of spring...
16
16

Burglar Alarms and Home Security
During the past month, I've started two threads about these topics. They generated good responses, indicating a wide interest. So I'm offering the results of my research over the last month here. For...

Plumbing question - Blue polybutylene
In doing a re-plumb for a mobile home that originally used the blue polybutylene 3/4 water line, I notice that a connection just outside of the water meter box was made by using a 3/4 compression...

Burglars alarme and home security
During the past month, I've started two threads about these topics. They generated good responses, indicating a wide interest. So I'm offering the results of my research over the last month here. For...

Recliner mechanism
I have two matching recliners (not La-Z-Boys) . One recliner operates normally. The footrest of the other recliner is difficult to lower & raise and it sometimes raises all by itself (without using...
1
1

Critter(s) under the house
Used to be that access to the crawl space of the house was available to all manner of animals. A few years ago I closed off all access but one, put finely sifted dirt in front of the one remaining...
13
13

OT, police on the radio
OT Do secret service, police plain clothes, etc. still talk into their wrist or wear coiled cords that come out of the back of their shirts and run up t heir neckes? Did they ever? ISTM, they'd wear...
7
7

Wood Pecker Damage
I couldn't beleive what I saw today. The rear corne of my house looked like the paint was peeling. Tonite I happened to be closer to the corner and I see these big chew holes in my cedar shingle...
11
11

Garbage disposal --- Quick and cheap
My 15 year old garbage disposal sort of bit the dust. After removing it, I think it can be repaired, but too late, the new one is in place. This is sort of a mundane story,but there is money to be...
22
22

OT - Best height for lawnmower handle?
Just got done mowing my lawn, 1/2 acre land, takes about 50 minutes. While I was daydreaming, I wondered what is the correct/preferred setting of the handlebar. Ski poles are supposed to be at elbow...
16
16