STAIRWAY CONSTRUCTION. - Page 15 - Section 11 - Stair Building

Table of Contents | « previous | Page 15 | next » | or go directly to page #

STAIRWAY CONSTRUCTION.

brick wall, the lookouts a, a should be set in at least 8 inches with slip keys tightly wedged between the bricks and the top of the timbers. The braces <I >b, b </I>should be well fitted

and spiked to the lookouts; these braces serve to keep the platform square and enable it to resist distortion by stress brought to bear on the carriage timbers c, and should be

made of thoroughly seasoned wood. A flight terminating in a platform should not contain more than 12 steps. A perspective sketch of the platform is shown in Fig. 13.

CYLINDERS

15. In geometrical stairways, the hand rail travels, unobstructed by newels, from the first step to the last, sometimes over six or more flights; it then becomes necessary to wreath the stringer and rail around the well holes. The

Table of Contents | « previous | Page 15 | next » | or go directly to page #