STAIRWAY CONSTRUCTION. - Page 14 - Section 11 - Stair Building

Table of Contents | « previous | Page 14 | next » | or go directly to page #

STAIRWAY CONSTRUCTION.

firmly against the face of the block. The newel is generally-set on top of this step, as indicated by the dotted lines. The second riser may be placed in the middle of the newel, as indicated at <I >c</I>, or in any other position desired.

CURVED RISERS

13. Where risers are curved, they should be made of solid wood, or of curved strips of seasoned wood glued solidly together. It is often difficult to get seasoned wood in pieces large enough to make a solid curved riser. In such cases it is desirable to bend pieces of 1-inch board by kerfing. Fig. 11 illustrates the method of finding the

distance between kerfs for a curve of given radius. The method is as follows: Cut one kerf, as at <I >a</I>; then, marking the distance ad equal to the radius <I >ao</I>, bend the board to position <I >a b</I> until the saw kerf is closed, as shown. Measure the distance between <I >d</I> and <I >b</I>, or, in other words, the deflection of the board between <I >a</I> and <I >b</I>. This length <I >db</I> is, therefore, the distance between kerfs, which, if continued, will shape the board to the curve <I >a e</I>. All the kerfs must be made with the same saw.

PLATFORMS

14. Where the stairways of a building are of considerable length, and are straight in plan, it is best to break the flight by a platform. Such a platform may be projected from the side wall, as shown in Fig. 12. In a

Table of Contents | « previous | Page 14 | next » | or go directly to page #