STAIRWAY CONSTRUCTION. - Page 12 - Section 11 - Stair Building

Table of Contents | « previous | Page 12 | next » | or go directly to page #

STAIRWAY CONSTRUCTION.

and the instrument to be used is shown in position. The hard-wood or iron bar<I > b h</I> has a hook on the lower end pro­jecting sufficiently to enable the bar to clear the nosing when the point <I >b</I> is touching the face of the riser. The bar <I >b h</I> is placed against the guide m and loosely bound to it by the

metal straps <I >e</I> and <I >k</I>. The strip <I >n </I>is fastened to <I >m</I> by a bolt <I >a</I>, which can be tightened so as to preserve the bevel. A small nick is made in the sliding bar <I >b h</I> at <I >c</I>, so that <I >b c</I> is the height of a riser. When the point <I >b</I> is on the end of the nosing, the nick c gives the position of the corresponding point on the wall stringer. Other points may be found in a similar manner, and the outline to which the wall stringer is to be cut can then be drawn.

CONSTRUCTION OF STEPS.

11. A portion of the upper edge of the riser maybe tongued into a groove in the under side of the tread, as shown at a in (a), Fig. 9Fig. 9 Construction of steps.Fig. 9 Construction of steps., instead of letting the whole thickness of the riser into the tread, as shown at (b). The lower edge of the riser may also be tongued into a groove in the upper

Table of Contents | « previous | Page 12 | next » | or go directly to page #