Seeding in cold weather

it was suggested to me to plant some annual rye around the lot where damage was sustained due to work on one of the outbuildings and to resed with fescue when warm weather returns. It gets into the fifties and rains some about every ten to 14 days. Will the rye really germinate in this environment?

Reply to
john

Certainly - but the "annual rye" I planted a few years ago was hard to get rid of the next year. Didn't act the way I thought "annual" would. I'm thinking I would go with regular grass seed right now. It's a lot colder here but I went with a $20 bag from Walmart when it was down around

50's here and it's doing well.
Reply to
Srgnt Billko

thanks Merry Christmas to all!

Reply to
john

Be aware that it's not just if it's currently in the 50's that matters. It's also the prior temp history. Which is to say, seeding when it was getting into the 50's in early Nov is different than seeding in mid Dec when it's getting into the 50's occasionally. The essential difference is that with colder weather and shorter days, the soil temp has cooled off. So, on a day when it's 50 now, the soil is likely considerably colder than it was during a day in the 50's in say early Nov. Seed needs soil temps in the 50's to gereminate. So, how successful you'll be depends on the actual climate where you are.

Reply to
trader4